Home inspection.. Did we make the right decision?

posted 3 years ago in Home
Post # 3
Member
3250 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

@FutureMrsMK:  I know it may feel like you are walking away from your ‘dream’ house, but if there are major structural issues that the seller refuses to fix you really will be better off in the long run. Honestly, with a sinking foundation I would walk now. It’s easy for me to say and I know you have some money invested already, but I learned that from the townhouse I bought way before my husband and I were married.

In the inspection the townhouse had polybutalyne pipes, which are an inferior product (I now know), but I was told at the time that there had never been leaks so it was fine.  $3,000 later after I replaced the plumbing……..

Post # 4
Member
1353 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

I think you did the right thing hun, living with something like horrible wall colors or some minor cracks in plaster is fine nothing you cant fix easily.

But something as major as the garage floor sinking sounds like its something bigger than you may have thought!

 

If they reject the offer you dodged a bullet for sure!

 

Post # 5
Member
5285 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2013

@FutureMrsMK:  I persoannly think you did the right thing. You dont want to buy a place and have to worry about such a major thing to repair. If they say no to the amendment you added take it as a sign and move on to find something perfect!!

Post # 6
Member
2627 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

If they say no to fixing them, you can ask them to write you a check for the cost of fixing them at close. They may prefer that because they can pull cash out of the house when you close.

Its always better to walk and lose a little money, than to buy a house that could cost you a lot more money later.

What are the exact implications of the garage floor? What does this mean to the integrity of the house itself, garage etc?

Post # 9
Member
11379 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2012

@FutureMrsMK:  i think you did the right thing adding an amendment.  if the sellers do not fix it, walk away.  it will be their loss.

Post # 10
Member
1822 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013 - Pavilion overlooking golf course scenery, reception at banquet hall

It is absolutely ok (and honestly, expected) to request for the seller to either fix the problem or knock the price down to accommodate the repairs. Even if you walked away, the next buyer will now also be aware of the problem and the seller will have to address it with them as well. 6 inches is a LOT. Structural issues are not the ones you want to compromise on. Don’t worry, their realtor should tell them that you’re not overreacting. And if they still don’t budge, then it is a bad deal and you should bail.

Post # 11
Member
2291 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: Central Park

I’m terrified of sinkholes so I think you made the right decision.

Post # 13
Member
11379 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2012

@FutureMrsMK:  has there been any update with the sellers?  how did they respond?

Post # 16
Member
3250 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

@FutureMrsMK:  Everything happens for a reason. A better house (without a potentially sinking foundation) will come along.

I really think you are dodging a bullet on this one.

 

Leave a comment


Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors