Honeymoon May 1 2014 need serious help

posted 3 years ago in Honeymoons
Post # 3
5773 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2014

I don’t think your budget allows for Australia unfortunately. Currently airfare in that date range is running about $1700 per person. You can expect to pay $250-400 US for good (not 5-star) hotels in bigger cities. I just can’t see getting two people to Australia for a week on $6k Unless you’d settle for hostel-level accommodations or staying in small suburban towns. It’s also pretty far between Sydney and the Great Barrier Reef, which is in QLD, about a 4-5 hour flight, and since it’s the most famous city in Australia everyone wants to visit Sydney. If you want to do both, you will need to fly and that will add about $400US per person.

I would look to Spain, as it’s a much shorter, cheaper flight; it’s easier to find quality, affordable accommodations; and there’s a lot of variety in the country. Barcelona is quite different to Madrid and it’s easy and cheap to travel within Spain either by air or by train.

Post # 4
10219 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

Hi @lor282:  I see this is debut post here on WBee… so a BIG Welcome to “the Hive”

Mr TTR & I are semi-retired, and travel nuts… we travel a lot !!

As stated, Australia is going to be uber-expensive for you coming from the East Coast of the USA… count on around $ 2000 each just for transportation.  As your budget is $ 6000, that only leaves $ 2000 for 7 to 10 days (lets say 10, cause one wants MORE time if you are going to go that far)… that works out to a daily per diem of just $ 200… too low.

Also remember that May in Australia is Autumn (Southern Hemisphere)… not Spring like here.  So the weather is more iffy.

As a bare minimum for North American Travel you need $ 300 to $ 350 per day (not including transportation)

Going abroad you’ll need to budget more ($ 400 to $ 500 a day) if you plan to have money for decent Hotels, Restaurants, on-the-ground transportation, Activities, Entertainment, and Souvenirs.

Honeymooning and wanting to splurge a bit… takes more.

Which is one of the reason All-Inclusives are so popular for Honeymoons.

You should look at Europe… there can definitely be airfare deals in early May (prices tend to go up end of May as I recall)

Lol, here’s another idea if you haven’t been before…

Bermuda.  May & June are prime months for Bermuda.  Gorgeous island, and easy to get to from the US East Coast.  A world apart from the rest of North America (very British).  Safe, Clean, Pretty, and lots to see and do.  Decent Beaches, History, Geography, Water Sports, Golf etc.

AND BONUS… as you are in the NJ area, if you want to do something different, you could take a cruise to the island.  (Something we plan to do in 2014.  Travelling once again with Celebrity Cruise Lines… but there are other great ships that go there as well).

So a nice pampering cruise to and from, and 3 Days docked in Bermuda.

Definitely could do all that with your Budget and have an AMAZING time.  And the BONUS is this a Destination you could visit again in the future years as it isn’t crazy far away or not affordable.

Hope this helps,

Post # 6
3084 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

@lor282:  what about the Amalfi coast in Italy? 

Post # 7
10219 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

You mentioned Mediterranean cruise…

I have friends (several sets) who have done cruises with Celebrity (as I said my preferred Cruise Line) in the Med.  One couple went out of the UK, another out of Rome, and a third out of Barcelona.  Each had different itineraries, and were somewhere in the 7 to 12 Day range.

If you are interested in Italy and the Greek Isles, you might want to check out this one… the couple I know who did it said it was AMAZING !!

Here is a SEARCH LINK… (hopefully the results will show up… otherwise you can enter the Parameters for Europe – May – etc, the Greek Isles Cruises tend to go out of Rome / Civitavecchia) = http://www.celebritycruises.com/search/vacationSearchResults.do#isWidget=false&dest=EUROP&sailStartDate=201404&sailEndDate=ANY&ship=ANY&port=ROM&duration=3&includeAdjascentPorts=Y&promoid=&promoType=&promotionTypeId=&priceProgram=&sortBy=4&startRow=0&count=10&cruiseType=CO&cruiseInt=Y&isCrieriaExcluded=false&facebook=

Hope this helps,

PS… Cruise costs listed are per person (around $ 2 K each for 10 Days) BUT you have to remember that includes just about everything… room, food, entertainment.  On top of that you need to add on airfare (best deals usually come thru the cruise line… in the case of Celebrity they use a service called Choice Air which is a wholesaler… positive thing is your arrival is GUARANTEED).  And any spending money etc.  IF you are a drinker Celebrity is the only line that also offers a flat-rate drinks package (per day)… everything from just Bottled Water, to All Non-Alcohol Bevvys, to a Premium pkg that covers justa about anything on board (up to $ 12 a pour).

By my estimate for $ 6000 you could do a nice 10 Day Cruise, Airfare, and Spending Money.  And have an incredible vacation seeing a lot of places along the way… a good way to get introduced to Europe, and at the same time enjoy the pampering that a top drawer cruise line has to offer, a very romantic way to spend a Honeymoon IMO.

Hope this helps,

Post # 8
85 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: January 2014

For that price we’re going to Paris for 4 days, Rome for 4 days, and taking an 11 night Eastern Mediterranean cruise out of Rome. You definitely have a lot of options! Good luck!

Post # 9
126 posts
Blushing bee

Don’t rule out Costa Rica if that is on your list! April is actually still in the dry season, the weather is wonderful that time of year. The place is just so tropical and romantic, I think it is a perfect honeymoon spot. We stayed at the BEST All Inclusive. It was great find.

Greek Islands sound pretty enchanting also!  You’ll want to consider travel time and jet lag, etc. Travel days can really chip away at your time. It can take half a day for instance just to get out to the islands from Athens, once you have reached Greece.

Best of luck!

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors