Due date: July 14
Birth date: July 18
Girl or boy: Girl
Baby’s Name: Zoey Lorelei
Weight: 8 lb 5 oz at birth. 8 lb 14.5 oz on August 3
Length: 21 in
Birth Story: http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/zoeys-birth-story-long
Breastfeeding/Pumping/Bottle- How is it going for you?: I’ve been breastfeeding and introduced pumping this week due to a family emergency. It’s going pretty well. She does have to use a shield which I’m hoping to get rid of but I haven’t had time to work on that this week, again, due to the emergency. She’s definitely gaining weight though and eating well.
Lifesaver Baby Items for the First Month:
1. My Little Snug-a-bunny swing: This helps when I need to eat dinner or clean up something and she’s sleeping.
2. Woombie: She was screaming in the hospital and this calmed her down instantly.
3. Medela Harmony: I wasn’t going to get a manual pump but this was so much cheaper and it’s so easy to carry everywhere. It’s great considering I don’t intend to pump a lot.
4. Avent Soothie Pacifiers: I was also anti-pacifier but during the screaming fit in the hospital that lasted about four hours, this also helped her calm down.
5. Gripe Water: This can calm her down instantly even if I just let her taste the dropper. She is pretty much unable to function when she’s upset, she won’t even eat if she’s hungry sometimes.
6. Summer Infant Rest Assured Co-sleeper: She likes to be close to us while sleeping but we weren’t comfortable with her just in the bed so this works wonders for us.
7. Boppy: This has made nursing so much more comfortable and easier all around.
Baby items you have found unnecessary so far:
1. Wipe Warmer: We honestly haven’t even used it yet because it seems like a hassle.
Favorite Mommy Moment: Even though I think it’s still reflexes, I love it when she smiles. I also love that she is so alert and attentive to everything already. Oh, and the other night my husband had her on his stomach for tummy time and she had great control over her head and neck. Also, I loved the other night when she slept for almost eight hours without waking up. I apparently have a lot of favorite moments.
Challenges: The growth spurts have been a challenge because she gives me no breaks. She will eat for six to seven hours straight sometimes which is absolutely exhausting. It’s also been a challenge this week because we lost my father-in-law last Sunday and it’s been a lot to deal with all of that (emotionally and logistically) while having a newborn. We haven’t really gotten into a routine or to experience our new normal yet with visitors for two weeks and then everything this week.
Picture of your sweet little one? (if you feel comfortable sharing): This was from her newborn session when she was a day old.