Post # 1
Approximately when should I be contacting a hotel for information on a hotel room block? Our wedding is almost exactly 8 months away, and I figured that around 4 months was an appropriate time frame, but my mom and FMIL are hinting that they’d prefer to book (and encourage family to book) now. So is sooner better? Also, would you find 2 hotels or is 1 okay, to contact?
Post # 3
- Wedding: April 2014 - Morton Arboretum
I already have my rooms blocked. But I am early. I am 14 months out.
They are saving 15 rooms, one only has to be rented to avoid manditory charge. It is a Hyatt. They even offer shuttle service to and from my venue. I love it.
Post # 4
Sooner the better. I live in the capitol and the legistature will be in session during my wedding so I made the block 10 months in advance to make sure my guests had rooms (I also needed a lot of rooms).
DOing it sooner also gave me time to “shop around”to get the best deal for my guests.
Post # 5
I’d do it as soon as you can, so you have the rooms saved for you. It’s nice to give your guests options with two hotels. We only did one, because it was so close to our venue.
Post # 6
ASAP – we only sent out our save the dates last week and half of our block of 30 rooms are already booked!
Post # 7
We blocked ours back in November. The earlier the better I think 🙂
Post # 8
The earlier the better! Originally we were going to block at our actual wedding venue (which is also an inn). When we did try there wouldn’t be enough rooms and only the most expensive would have been available. We will be using a hotel about 10 minutes away and arranging transportation for everyone. Do it as soon as you can!
Post # 9
We did ours about 8 months before the wedding date. If it’s a popular area I’d do it soon, there are 2 other weddings that have blocks at the same hotel.. so the hotel is filling up pretty quickly! I’m glad we did it early, we may of not gotten any rooms if we waited too long.
Post # 10
@princess_r: I did my room block about 10 months before my wedding. The earlier the better! My hotel also offers shuttle back/forth to the venue.
Post # 11
I think starting looking about eight months out and booked it shortly after. I would be careful and make sure there no major event going on which can cause the rooms to be sold out. I also think the earlier the better as it gives more options.
Post # 12
We made our blocks 10 months out, and picked two hotels. Each offered different perks; 1 was close to the venue but charged $40/night for parking, the other was 3 miles away but had free parking
Post # 13
Ya’ll are early birds. We setup our block last month…so about 5 months out. And check-up on it. When our first guest went to book about a month later they “lost” our block. We had to call back and get it setup AGAIN and then have my cousin call back and try again. So annoying!!!
Post # 14
Im 7 months out and have been getting an email together to send out to people we are invinting to let them know about the rooms. Right now we have 10 rooms blocked but the contract we signed is able to be adjusted if we need more rooms. I think sooner is better but FIL think its way to soon. I think the sooner people know pricing the sooner they can start planning and saving
Post # 15
I want to say we did ours around a year out. We’ve had people booked there for several months now.
Post # 16
We asked for the block rate, and it was $35/room more than the Expedia rate! So we just linked everyone to Expedia.