Hourly Job – 24/7 Calls —- NEED OPINIONS PLEASE!!

posted 3 years ago in Career
Post # 3
232 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2013

Yes I would definitely sit down and speak to your boss about this! I don’t think you’re crazy. You’re completely right! If you’re not getting paid, why should you be expected to do all that? They’re probably hoping you won’t say anything about it since you’ve continued being on call even after the regional operator said you couldn’t get paid for it. 

I used to be on call several nights a week and got paid a flat amount per night. Yes, there were some nights when I didn’t get a single call and it was easy money, but other times I’d be taking multiple calls throughout the night and it would seriously ruin my whole evening. In the middle of cooking or eating dinner? Sorry, gotta go run and answer the phone. Ugh. I couldn’t even get a really good nights sleep because I’d occasionally get an emergency 1am phone call. Being on call was the worst part of my last job.

Post # 4
299 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

If you’re answering work calls, that’s working. You should definitely be getting paid for that time. Or you need to give that phone to someone else. Go talk to your boss asap. Maybe keep a detailed record of the work you do in your off time, and bring that to him. 

Post # 5
9137 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 2013 - St. Augustine Beach, FL

@Candice512:  It’s illegal to work off the books (i.e. do work but not get paid for it.)  I would send an email requesting a meeting with your boss noting the number of additional hours they have expected you to work and that you have worked but been unpaid for.  Most companies will not stand for this.  Maybe negotiating a part time salary and benefits package would be more beneficial for everyone.

Post # 6
42117 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

I’m with the pp.  How nice for your employer to have you working for free.Either negotiate a package with salary and benefits, or a proper “on-call” package.

You would get paid __ dollars per hour when on call, and then get paid an additional amount in one of two ways:

1. a flat amount per call taken

2. an hourly rate broken down into 10-15 minutes segments i.e if a call lasts less then 10 minutes you get ___ dollars extra, if it lasts 11-20 minutes you get___ etc.

Post # 9
1581 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

Where I work (which is admittedly a cushy, unionized government position) if you’re salaried and carry a work phone and take calls outside of your regular work hours, you’re automatically entitled to overtime for those phone calls. 

Post # 10
102 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

I would check with the labour board where you live, policies vary of stae/province to state/province.

I live in Ontario and I am salaried.  I also am on-call except all of the managers take turns being on-call.  In Ontario my company doesn’t have to pay anyone extra to be on-call since we are salaried, if we were hourly then they would. 

I know how you feel it is fustrating to be on-call all of the time.  I wasn’t sure by your post if you are on-call everyday or you rotate being on call with others in your position.  I would speak again to your supervisor.  I wasn’t clear if it is policy for you to be on-call or if your manager is trying to get you to work extra hours (for free) by telling you that you get paid bonus money for the business you bring in therefore they “suggest” you should be on-call.  I would visit the labour board where you live though and explain your situation and see what they say.

Post # 11
5697 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

There’s absolutely no reason you should be putting in this much time and effort without being paid. Were you a salaried employee, it would make more sense, but you aren’t getting paid when you aren’t on the clock and personally I don’t think I’d be working that hard for free.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors