Post # 1
FI is from California, I’m from NY and we met/live in NC. His grandparents brought his mom over from Cuba when she was about 12 soooooooo there’s lots of little things I wanted to work into my wedding.
North Carolina – our favors are small jars of North Carolina wildflower honey
Cuba – our tables will be named after Cuban cigar brands. We’re also having cigar boxes on each table filled with postcards for guests to sign rather than a guestbook. Also, we are walking into the reception to the theme song from I Love Lucy. Since Desi is Cuban (although you’d never know FI was hispanic in any way) and Lucy is a klutzy chick like me 🙂
California – The postcards in the cigar boxes will be postcards of various places in California
NY – well the whole wedding is taking place in NY in my parents backyard so I think that’s enough 🙂
How about you bees? Any traditions, customs you want to work into your wedding? What important things do you want to show off? How do you plan on doing it?
Post # 3
I hope this thread takes off! Ive been thinking a lot about how I’d like to personalize my wedding and have been having a hard time.
I was thinking of putting our parents’ and grandparents’ wedding photos on the table near the guestbook…
I will hold a cut piece from my grandma’s veil with my bouquet.
Other than that, I’m hitting a brick wall.
EDIT: We are also filling our out-of-town gift baskets with local Greek products and an explantion of the Greek Orthodox ceremony.
Post # 4
I’d say from our DIY projects.
Post # 5
@Evie19: Oh yes my father passed away so I’ll have his ring sewn into the inside of my dress near my heart : ) And my brother (who is giving me away) is walking me down the aisle and we’re dancing to There You’ll Be by Faith Hill which is a nice subtle tribute to my father.
We’re also doing the handwashing ceremony as part of our ceremony http://www.afceremonies.com/handwashingceremony.php which will lead into our vows.
Post # 6
We’re saying each other’s names in the vows. LOL I’m not trying to be sarcastic, but we’re just not putting a lot of effort into DIY and stuff like that. It’ll be a nice wedding, but nothing groundbreaking.
Post # 7
@ohheavenlyday: I’ll admit I haven’t put a ton of effort into DIY but I think this weekend there will be a lot of that. I still have to do my flower girl’s tissue paper pomanders and the paper stuff…escort cards, programs, table names, menus, drink menus etc.
For some people having it be YOUR wedding is enough and I think that’s great. After all, no one is going to mistake someone else for the bride and groom lol. I’m just a big crafter and wanted to put some personal touches on things.
Post # 8
@sit1010: That is so touching. Im sure your father will be with you on your special day. 🙂
Post # 9
@Evie19: Yes he definitely will be. It was important to have him with me but not throw it in everybody else’s face. I really wanted to show off FI’s heritage though and as cheesy as it is when I think Cuba I think cigars. It works out though because he loves cigars lol. And you can’t really get anything “Cuban” here so it was the easiest way to tie it in.
Post # 10
Personalizing our wedding was very important to me since it seems like way too many people go the cookie cutter route these days…
- First Dance: If I can manage to get my hearing back in the next month or two, I had planned to record our first dance song as a surprise for FI.
- Cake: Canoli wedding cake! FI loves canolis so he was dead set on having it as our wedding cake. I think it will be a crowd pleaser.
- Favors: We’re getting married in apple orchard country so our guests will each be given a mini apple pie as their wedding favor.
- Bouquet: I’m using some lace from my moms wedding dress to wrap around the stems of my bouquet. I’m also on the hunt for an heirloom brooch to pin to the stems for some added drama.
- Photo Booth: The “faux-to-booth” is pretty cool too. FI and his dad are going to construct a wall to use as the backdrop. The wall will look like you’re in a house with crown molding, wainscoting, wall paper and random pictures hanging. For our camera we’re using an iSight camera that’s hooked up to one of our Mac Minis and displayed on a 37” flat panel TV. The whole thing will be remote controlled so our guests can take their own pictures. If we can pull it off, I think it will be pretty bitchin’.
- Photo Booth App: FI is creating a whole new photobooth app for us to use (he’s a mac and iPhone developer). The apps that are currently out are fine but there are a few features that we wanted that weren’t offered. I like this because it gives FI something creative to do for our wedding. He’s not really into all my DIY stuff but creating the photobooth app is right up his alley.
- Guest Book: My FFIL is making us 2-3 life-size thought bubbles covered in chalk board finish. Our guests will write their guest book entries on the thought bubbles and take a picture with it. We plan to make a collage of all of our guest book pictures and display it in our home.
- Officiant: My cousin is getting ordained to perform our ceremony. I know this isn’t unique in WB land but it definitely is in my circle.
I’m sure there’s more that I’m not adding but that’s all I can think of right now.
Post # 11
How are we personalizing our wedding?
Well, we are pretty much making/doing everything ourselves. From writing the ceremony & our vows to self-catering to a ridonkulous amount of DIYs (from paper to wood to fabric).
Not only that but we’re
a) having the ceremony & reception on the banks of one of our fave lakes/summer spots.
b) Keeping everything laid back, think summer heat & sipping lemonade on the porch .. yeah we are very mellow low key people and hope to infuse our reception with that vibe (no glitz glam ballroom high society shindig for us).
c) will probably end up cracking jokes and making some people laugh while other people feel awkward (we’re both jokers and love to kid around).
d) trying to be as eco conscious as possible. Pretty much all paper products used are at least 60% recycled (and of course acid & lignen free), we’ve bought as much as possible locally, growing our own flowers, and many of the items used for the wedding will be recycled, upcycled or can serve a dual purpose after the fact.
e)the music will be reflective of our tastes and personalities.
It’s all little things really, but when it all comes together it will be good. Like PP’s said, nothing groundbreaking, but we will be happy with the results 🙂
Post # 12
We are utilizing “friendors”. Still thinking of other ways to personalize, but here’s a start:
1. Offiant- i work in local government, so our officiant is our judge…we work together on several projects throughout the year.
2. Musician- our friend is playing piano for the ceremony and cocktail hour
3. Invitations- are being designed by one of fiance’s oldest friends (oldest as in longest)
4. Favors- fiance’s family owns and italian bakery and are making italian wedding cookies for us
5. Out of Town Bags- for our visitors from afar we are putting in lots of our local favorites, like tastycakes
Post # 13
Hmmmmm….. just about everything screams “us” in our wedding, lol. From the theme (fantasy) to the dress (definitely me) to the fact the wedding party will have weaponry (definitely my FI’s influence, lol).
We have a logo that is now “ours” that will be used from now till our death (yeah, we love it that much, lol).
There will be guitar picks involved with the bouts (my FI plays and teaches)
The food will DEFINITELY reflect my FI
Candy! (I’m the chocoholic and candy nut….everyone knows this…)
Favors are gonna be shot glasses (FI is the ‘bartender’ amongst our friends)
Paper mache’ Dragon eggs (we’re both gamers and I’m crafty and love all-things fantasy)
Cake topper is gonna be dragons entwined to form a heart (we’re fantasy nuts…)
The whole thing is gonna be more a party than a wedding (my FI’s influence and he’s known to throw awesome b-day parties)
the DIY stuff is definitely me.
I’m sure there will be lots of other stuff, but I’m drawing a complete blank at the moment! LOL!
Post # 14
So far :
Anyone who knows me knows I have the biggest sweet tooth so a candy buffet is a MUST!
Post # 15
It’s so great to see everybody’s personal touches for their day. Everybody has a different styles and personalities are really coming out.
Post # 16
We’re having a Greek ceremony, but I’m not Greek and neither is my family, so we found a priest that would do the ceremony in English so that I could participate as fully as my FI. Also, I’m going to be wearing my late grandmother’s jewelery, and I’m having a photo display of family wedding photos from my side and my FI’s side of the family. We also picked our music really carefully so it reflects our personalities. It doesn’t sound like much, but to me it’s just enough that no one could ever replicate our wedding even if they tried.