Post # 1
My current SO is an amazing guy. We have been together for 2 1/2 years now and moved in together 6 months ago. I dated a different guy for almost 5 years and everyone loved him except for me… but I felt like I was supposed to be with him and didn’t know if it got better than that. Now with my SO I feel so different. I am in love with everything he does. His laugh, his smile, how he treats me, how cute he is when he sleeps, when he sings, when he hangs out with my family, how he’s so knowledgeable about so many things, how he balances me out and calms me down, and I could go on forever. I just love him! Don’t get me wrong, I get annoyed with him at times, but don’t want to ever be without him in my life.
Was there anything that really stuck out to you that let you know you found the perfect fit for yourself?
Post # 3
I knew he was The One because ….
- I didn’t ever wonder whether I was doing the right thing. I felt calm and peaceful about us getting married and being together forever.
- Unlike my previous relationships, there was no drama, arguing or fighting. To this day we’ve never had a real fight per se, just a few differences of opinion here or there that were quickly resolved. We’re very compatible in our values, ethics, personalities, senses of humor, etc.
- He has strong integrity. This was super important to me simply because some of my previous BFs were painfully lacking in that area. The whole time we were dating, DH was sure and steady, true blue and faithful, a man of his word.
- He always was (and still is) going out of his way to watch out for me, take care of me, help me.
I adore my husband! He took me out to lunch this afternoon and he had that smiling, “in love” look on his face whenever he looked at me. We’ve been married two years this month — together four years as a couple — and the honeymoon is going strong. I thank my lucky stars every day.
Post # 4
i was engaged before but called it off 9 months prior to the wedding.
this time i just know. i don’t have doubts about this like i did before. this time i keep thinking “oh man i’m actually going to get married this time”. so i think i knew that the last one wasn’t it.
Post # 5
@BelliniChic: I knew DH was the one for me when my grandmother was in the ICU and he spent all of her last night holding me as we laid on the hospital waiting room floor.
I knew DH would be husband because he’s responsible, respectable, mature, light headed, and loving. My life would be totally empty without him.
Post # 6
@katydaisy: I am marrying my fiancé because we love one another, are compatible/have similar goals and values, and are willing to work hard to resolve problems. I don’t believe in “the one” or soulmates, but we make a damn good team and I can see us being happy together for life.
Post # 7
There was never any moment of realization or “aha” for me….it just kind of happened. After awhile when I thought about the future he was there, and I didn’t want to imagine a future without him. Much like the PP, I don’t beleive in “soulmates,” but I know that we love each other and want to make a life together.
Post # 8
@katydaisy: I knew when he was the one because:
1. We could be in the worst of situtaions (the trip from hell, lost luggage, being sick, moving) and yet it was alright as long as we were together.
2. When we realized that we were stronger together than we ever were apart.
3. I felt comfortable enough to let down my guard and tell him the stuff about myself that I had never told anyone else.
4. When there was a distinct lack of drama in our relationship (trust me you don’t miss it).
5. When I had good or bad news he was the first person I wanted to tell (and sometimes the only person).
6. When I realized that while could function on my own, and be completely on my own… but I didn’t want to, and I didn’t want to share my life with just anyone, it had to be him and only him. We aren’t together because we have to be, we’re together because we want to be.
Post # 9
All the things that other Bees have said above (and what others will say in their replies below this one)
But for me PERSONALLY… it comes down to this:
I was married previously… I spent 20+ years in an abusive marriage
For me it comes down to a very simple equation.
There is NO DRAMA part. Life is easy, comfortable and secure.
But beyond all that…
It is a man who is head over heels in love will ALWAYS put your needs above all else
He lives to make your life better, and you inturn become a better person
It is something that is hard to explain… it isn’t a tangible thing
It is just something you see in yourself… feel & know over time
It is like a plant…
You live every day in the light, with the nurturing you need that fills your thirst … and you grow and prosper.
You are never kept in the dark, starved of affection, or stunted by someone’s demands and their own life.
Post # 10
I’ve only been with my DH for just over 2 years, married 3 – 4 months, but I’ll say this from the relationship books I’ve read and because my response is less romantic:
– you marry someone with very similar values
– However, there is no mr. right. You have to do the work to make the relationship the best it can be – putting in time into the relationship. willing to be forgiving. willing to be vulnerable. and when you’re married, you wake up every day committing to the same person even if that person or your circumstances have changed.
I took a HUGE leap of faith in marrying my DH. We didn’t know each other very well at the time, but we both had a feeling – probably from God – that we were meant for each other because we both challenged each other a lot in our weakest areas, while bringing out each others’ strenghts.
Post # 11
when i felt more at home being with him at his place than at my own house..i get this sense of ..tbis is where i belong
Post # 12
Nobody can really know. Somewhere around 40% of marriages end in divorce and not all the couples that stay together are necessarily happy.
If you’re compatible and have healthy ways of communicating and dealing with problems then that’s good and you don’t really need a specific reason that sticks out for knowing he’s the right one. For all you know you could be happily married until you die, you could end up miserable 10 years from now, or he could get hit by a bus 6 months after your wedding.
Post # 13
I knew he was special the moment we were introduced to each other BUT I knew he was the one I wanted to marry when all of the following just fell into place:
1) When I couldn’t imagine my life without him. He’s my best friend. The one I can tell anything to and not worry about judgement.
2) When I realized that he cared more for my needs than his own (and vice versa)
3) When we found a way to grow together, instead of apart, through high school/college/university/broke 20’s phase and are still crazy about each other. It wasn’t always easy!
4) His laid back personality balances my sometimes uptight/sometimes perfectionist personality.
5) He’s just a good person in general. The kind that would give the shirt off his back to help someone in need kind of guy
Just so many reasons…I could go on and on!
Post # 14
I knew he was the right one because whenever I thought about it there was no doubt that he was the right one. Even with flaws (which we all have), I knew 100%.
ETA It was more than just “knowing” … it was more sure than that. I’m not even sure how to put it into words.
Post # 15
The simplicity of our love. We didn’t have to try at all. It just existed.
It was almost as if he had “hello I am your husband” tattooed on his forhead.
Post # 16