Post # 1
My husband woke me up this morning by saying “Ash, you have to get up, I think there’s something wrong with Charlie.” Charlie’s our 4 year old Aussie/Border Collie mix. If you know anything about those breeds, you can guess that she is a huge ball of energy. However, this morning, she was having a hard time walking and just wanted to curl up with my husband. When he took the dogs outside to go potty, Charlie just laid in the grass with her paws in the air so he’d rub her tummy.
She was getting around ok, really slow and really favoring her back right paw, but then decided she wanted to be carried everywhere. Luckily she’s only 35 lbs! So we looked her over. She’d let us touch her legs, move her knee and hip around just fine, but when we got to her paw, she whimpered a little. It doesn’t look swollen or discolored. There’s nothing that we can see lodged/stuck in between her toes. We don’t know how she could have injured it, but she’s very active and runs around crazy with our other dog, so nothing really suprises us anymore. Regardless of how it happened, we decide to take her in to the emergency vet.
My husband and I took turns sitting with her while the other got dressed. Finally I said, “ok, we’re going to the vet now sweetie,” and she jumps up and runs to the garage door. Wait what?!? She’s suddenly walking fine! We take her outside and she potties just fine too. She even grabs a frisbee and drops it at my feet. So we think maybe the pain is better and she’s ok. I call the er vet to say we’re not coming after all and we’ll call them again if we change our minds. Well, now it’s been another 30 minutes and she’s slowed down again. Right now, she’s sleeping next to my husband on the couch (he had to lift her up). My husband thinks we should keep waiting, take it easy today and unless it gets worse, just get in to our regular vet tomorrow. I am a paranoid pet mommy and want to take her to the er vet immediately. What would you do? How do you make the decision (esp. in a case like this) to suck it up and take her to the emergency vet?
Ok, sorry I know this is SO LONG. Thank you to anyone who reads all the way through. And here’s a cute picture of my baby girl yesterday morning:
Post # 3
I would take her, anytime they act out of character I think you should take them in just to be safe that there is nothing going on that you can’t see.
Post # 4
I usually like to be “safe rather than sorry” when it comes to my pets, so I would probably take her! She’s a beautiful dog, by the way 🙂
Post # 5
That’s a tough call… I think you should just call and ask the vet what they think you should do. Just by hearing the symptoms they might be able to tell if it COULD BE a serious thing or if it can wait a day. But mostly, go with your gut. Good luck! and keep us posted!
Post # 6
@MrsPom: Thanks for the quick reply – I think that’s what has me worried. She’s just not acting like her crazy self.
@pecanpie: Thank you! I’m usually a “better safe than sorry” person too, so I think we’re going to go.
Post # 7
@o0olibelulao0o: Thanks! When I called earlier, they said I should go ahead and bring her in (I think they were most concerned when I told them she wouldn’t even stand up to go potty on her own). This isn’t our usual vet though, so I don’t know if they tell everyone to come in or what…. ? I think we’re going to head in though. She seems really lethargic which is just not her at all.
Post # 8
It sounds like you may already be at the ER (good luck!), but I thought I’d throw my 2 cents in for conversation’s sake. We tend to not go to the ER, but only because we have a TON of experience taking our 1.5 year old lab to the ER only to be told ($500 later) that we just need to keep an eye on him and maybe take him into our regular vet if he doesn’t get better. We also have a really good “Dog First Aid” book that gives you good guidelines on the urgency of medical attention. So we usually just make an appointment with our regular vet asap.
We are absolutely in love with our dog (no kids yet, so he’s the apple of our eye), which is why we have taken him in so many times in the past. But we think we have a good idea now of what is really urgent and what isn’t. I hope your doggie feels better soon!
P.S. In my experience, the ER vets ALWAYS tell you to bring your pet in. Not because they are trying to scam clients, but because they don’t want to be the vet that told you everything was fine when it wasn’t. And they can’t really tell anything over the phone, especially when you can’t identify the cause (ingestion of something, a moment of injury, etc) of the lethargy.
Post # 9
thanks for posting about that book. Sounds like something that every dog owner should have. Definitely picking that up!
Post # 10
Davis threw his hip out a but doing tricks a few months ago, we waited a few hours and he seemed fine by then. That being said, he’s had 3 “emergency” trips to the vet in his 10 months on the earth 😛 Only once was it a real emergency (and the trips were always in regard to him eating, or suspected of eating, something he shouldn’t have). He licked all the adhesive off of one of those 3M hooks for hanging deco’s that fell off the wall and vomited like 8 times, including once in my hands on the way to the vet… by the time we got their he looked much better but got some meds anyways. The first time is when I lost my ering and thought he may have swallowed it so we brought him in for an xray (he wasn’t the culprit) and the last time he chewed a piece off a plastoc water bottle and swallowed it, and had to have the vet induce vomitting so he wouldn’t end up with an obstructed bowel.
So I’m definitately a better safe than sorry Mom. Even if he only needs treatment every third time he goes, at least we have peace of mind.
Hope your baby feels better soon, let us know how it goes!
Post # 11
I don’t know… do you have a gut feeling either way? Are you pretty sure it’s her paw? A paw might be able to wait, if you keep a close eye on it. If you think it could be anything else, like stomach issues, or something, I’d probably take her… I think it’s worth the peace of mind if you can afford it.
My dog Hailey got sick last year… she threw up a couple times and had diarrhea. We thought maybe she ate something wrong, but she was shivering/shaking every couple minutes while sleeping. I took her for a walk and she walked fine, but wasn’t as into sights and smells as usual. My DH thought we should wait until Monday, but I was worried. I called the e-vet and they said to bring her in. When we got to there, she had a temp of 105.5 and was in shock. They admitted her right away and started IVs. It was touch and go overnight but she survived. They said that she probably wouldn’t have survived if we’d waited, so I was glad I trusted my gut.
Post # 12
Hearing that an Aussie is lethargic is definitely a cause for concern. Waiting for updates…
Post # 13
I would definitely bring him in for that.