(Closed) How do you REALLY feel about the 2010 Winter Olympics?

posted 8 years ago in Vancouver
  • poll: Are you looking forward to the 2010 Olympic Games?
    Absolutely! : (44 votes)
    52 %
    Ugh. No! : (30 votes)
    35 %
    Sort of... : (11 votes)
    13 %
  • Post # 3
    7976 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper

I know it doesn’t make me the most popular girl in the world, but I’m not a big fan of the olympics in general. I’ve never been much of a sport’s girl OR a tv girl, so having it on 24/7 on every tv around… eh. I’m usually ready for it to be turned off within a few days of when they start.

Post # 4
    1260 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2010

Good question Recessionista. I live in Vancouver right now, and Olympic Fever has certainly taken over. Things I like about the Olympics: Celebrating sporstmanship and atheletic achievement, and the employment oppurtunites for many people (a friend of mine works for VANOC in communications).

That said, the Olympics have a dark side that I don’t like. The biggest thing I take issue with is the new law passed that allows police officers to force homeless people to go to shelters. They claim it is so they “help” the homeless – well just how the heck are you going to help them by forcing them into shelters, many of which don’t have free beds, and taking them away from all their posessions and familiar neighborhoods. I think it is to clean up the streets so the world doesn’t see the city has a homelessness problem. The cost overruns associated with buidling Olympic venues and the ASTRONOMICAL costs of tickets and merchandise are horrible! I couldn’t afford tickets to any of the events.

I have been excited about following the torch relay though. The relay just went through my hometown of Saint John, NB yesterday! Can’t wait until it makes it back to Vancouver.

Post # 6
    4567 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: August 2010

We had the Summer Olympics in Atlanta in 1996 and it was AWESOME! We went to dressage and Synchronized Swimming… some of the best memories I’ve ever had! My family didn’t get super into the “collectibles,” like pens and hats, but its still fun to see people wearing the sweatshirts around!

Post # 7
    9057 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2010

I think it will be a good time.  I live far enough away (Langley) that I hope traffic won’t really be a nightmare that far out, and I have tickets to hockey and men’s figure skating, so that’s exciting! 

Post # 8
    426 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: July 2012

I don’t live in Canada, which is why I guess I can’t wait for the Olympics!  It always gives me something to watch on the tube!  the summer olympics last year were the best two weeks of my life! haha!

Post # 9
    809 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2010

I’m quite excited for the Olympics! I’m going to women’s bronze medal curling. My fiance works downtown and is less than thrilled about the traffic the olympics will cause. I think in general though, it’s an exciting time for Vancouver and for Canada, and I’m totally stoked! ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 10
    1371 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: August 2010

I am pumped for the olympics!  Gooooo Canada!  One of my old roommates went to the Women’s gold medal hockey game in Italy.  I was so jealous.  I can understand the frustration of being in the packed city, though.

Post # 11
    139 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: July 2010

I can NOT wait until the Olympics are OVER. I am tired of all the hype. I work in the downtown core and am TERRIFIED of how long it will take me to get to work. And of course there are all the issues surrounding the homeless people and how our city will look after all this madness is over.

Frankly the one thing I did like about the Olympics are/were those mittens. I wish I bought a few dozen in hindsight so that I could sell them for a profit!

Post # 13
    949 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: March 2010

I love the Olympics, if I wasn’t saving for the honeymoon, I would take some time off and just veg and watch them on tv! 

Post # 14
    1573 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2010

I really enjoy the Olympics.  Summer more than winter but they’re both exciting. The music always gets me pumped.  I like the fact that everyone comes together and shows unity for at least a little bit.

BUT, I don’t like when a city spends so much to build itself up! It has to have so many buildings and after the Olympics the building is no longer used and it just sits there. Ciies  spend a lot of money, and go into debt sometimes.  

Post # 15
    14 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: January 2014

actually, all the venues being built are designed to be completely sustainable. they all have plans in place for them – ie, olympic village is going to be a retirement complex – and all those plans will continue to earn the city money and be an asset to our community. also, the transit upgrades vancouver has been able to fund through the olympics.

another aspect of the buildings that’s interesting to note is how environmentally friendly they are. the buildings use much less energy than the current codes require. it sets a great standard for future projects in and around vancouver ๐Ÿ™‚

beijing was idiotic about the games and the money they sunk into them – vancouver, not so much. the city officials have been at every olympic event since we won the bid for 2010, examining their pros and cons so we can do it better ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 16
    873 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: December 1969

I can’t freaking wait! It will be the one time where I will get to see Canada on my tv for 2 straight weeks.  I’m going to have to find some small expat bar to watch the hockey games as I’m pretty sure the Korean stations won’t be profiling hockey!  My mum sent FI and I each a pair of the mittens for Christmas.  They are sooooo warm…and good for wind chill! Well done mitten makers!

The topic ‘How do you REALLY feel about the 2010 Winter Olympics?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors