(Closed) How is it possible to eat only 1200 calories a day?????

posted 5 years ago in Fitness
  • poll: How many calories do you eat in a day on average
    1000-1200 : (40 votes)
    15 %
    1200-1400 : (89 votes)
    34 %
    1400-1600 : (56 votes)
    21 %
    1600-1800 : (25 votes)
    9 %
    1800-2000 : (25 votes)
    9 %
    2000-2200 : (16 votes)
    6 %
    2200 + : (13 votes)
    5 %
  • Post # 3
    208 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: November 2013

I’ve done the 1200 calories a day thing, actually I was doing 900 but my metabolism really really slowed. I avoided carbs entirely and concentrated on lean proteins, fruits, vegetables. I had dinner but I usually went to bed hungry.

Unfortunately, that harsh approach did nothing for my weight so I started exercising an hour a day and eating 1400-1600 calories so I actually get in 1000-1200 calories but it so much easier when I get to eat my exercise calories

Post # 4
    8042 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: December 2013

@Mrs.babycat:  That isn’t a lot of calories at all. I am not sure it is possible. Not sure how that app works, but is the goal really to eat only 1,200/day PLUS burn some thru exercise? I don’t see how you’ll have the energy.

A more realistic thing to do would be to aim to eat 1,500 a day and then burn 300 to get to that 1,200 net calories per day or whatever.

Keep in mind that any calorie tracker is a guess at best. I wouldn’t get too hung up on calories.

I know Glamour.com has a lot of low calorie recipes so that might give you some ideas.

Post # 5
    2359 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

What the…… I’m 5’9 and weigh 150…. If I lost 20lbs id be anorexic 

maybe 5-10 lbs and toning!

Post # 6
    1880 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: April 2013

haha I dunno! I am little but I would surely starve.

Post # 7
    4932 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

You measure and weigh everything. I found that my weight loss grinded to a hault at 1200 calories. Lower is not always better. I track using myfitnesspal

Post # 8
    3625 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: June 2012

I think MFP’s 1200 calorie a day thing works MUCH better if you actually exercise daily. That way, you get to add extra calories back and the calorie count is a lot less restrictive. 1200 a day is definitely doable but you have to be super smart about your calories with a huge focus on fibrous vegetables and water.

Post # 9
    12899 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: November 1999

I do about 1300 a day (and I’m on MFP – same user name as here if you want to add me!); it’s a struggle, but you have to make really smart food choices.  Avoid sugar/sugary drinks, eat lots of fruits and veggies, lean meats, high protein/fiber foods, and generally low carb.

Are you eating back calories you burn in the gym?  You have to make sure you feed your body so it gets the proper nutrients to burn fat and build muscle!

As for snacks: those laughing cow spreadable cheeses (35 cals/wedge) with baby carrots or celery, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, any fruits…

Post # 10
    1132 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

@Mrs.babycat:  I’m on MFP, same name as here. They tell you 1200 because you probably put in that you’re trying to lose 2 pounds a week, and they give the same read out for like, everyone without regard to a lot of other factors. 1200 definitely slowed down my metabolism. Now I’m at 1500 and I’m feeling and doing much better. On MFP, check out the forum topic “In place of a roadmap” and it’ll tell you about calculating your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure)and your BMR. You should always eat above your BMR (it’s what your body would need to stay alive in a coma, not to mention walking around living your life), which for your height and weight is going to be way more than 1200.

This link might help you: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

ETA: I’m 5’4″ and 145 and my BMR is around 1465, so yours would be even higher than mine, just to give you an idea.

Post # 11
    8228 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: August 2012

Breakfast – yogurt 150 cal
    Lunch – lean cuisine/healthy sandwich & salad/etc 350 cal
    Snack – 100 cal
    Dinner – 500 cal
    Snack – 100 cal

Just an example. Not saying it works for everyone or is the healthiest etc. I was eating around 1200 calories when I lost weight for my wedding and it worked fine for me. I’d say I probably eat around 1500 now but I’m just trying to maintain.

Post # 12
    5221 posts
    Bee Keeper

@RockStar33:  not necessarily, I am 5’8 and 132 pounds and I could also stand to lose a little weight in order to feel better. I tend to carry weight around my midsection, so for health reasons I want to keep that as lean as possible.  I am only an inch shorter than the OP and certainly do not look anywhere near anorexic or malnourished!

Post # 13
    808 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: February 2013

to lose weight I HAVE to exercise and cut back to 1200 calories a day

If not, I lose nothing. I do it by cutting back on carbs (not crazy cut backs, I aim for 100 grams a day) and do yoga 2x a week plus elliptical & weights another 2 days a week. I usually allow myself one day at a higher calorie intake (around 1500-1800) a week.

Post # 14
    2207 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: June 2014

i’ve done way under that and it’s quite easy.. once you start eating less, you don’t feel so hungry all the time. it’s just the first few days that are the hardest!

typical day:

breakfast- banana or yogurt (100 cals)

lunch- soup (200 cals) or lean cuisine meal (300 etc)

snack- fruit (100 cals)

dinner- 500 cals (veggies, lean meat, even pasta)

dessert- yogurt with fruit mixed in (120)

that being said, when i do eat less than 1000 calories, my metabolism slows down and i don’t lose as much weight as when i eat around 1400 cals.

Post # 15
    1423 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2009

1200 is really low — too low for many people.  It’s on the border of your body thinking it is starving and slowing your metabolism waayyy down (for many). 

You might have better results if you don’t restrict so severely.

Post # 16
    1936 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: February 2014

@Mrs.babycat:  So breaking down weight loss to the most basic format, you must burn more calories than you take in. This idea ignores the quality of calories, and other nutritional facts about your food, but you get the idea. 

I’d suggest upping your workout to 5 days a week, and combining not only cardio, but muscle-building workouts. Muscle burns more calories than fat does, even in a resting phase. So you body does become more effcient at burning calories as you build muscle. 

You can’t stick to a 1,200 calorie diet with a high-intensity workout routine. If you UP your workout, you will need to UP the number of calories you consume. But, you have to be sure that what you’re putting in is grade A fuel, so to speak. You can’t run a ferrari on 87 octane. 

Listen to your body. If you’re starving, eat. Your body is screaming “feed me” and you really should. I guess it goes without saying that you feed it healthy food that fuels it. 

The topic ‘How is it possible to eat only 1200 calories a day?????’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors