How much alcohol to buy for a summer wedding for 150 people?

posted 3 years ago in Food
Post # 2
5697 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

Personally I think you have too many choices. Specifically though I think your beer menu is too many of the same beer types. I’d cut them down to 2-3 and have a light, and an amber. You don’t need corona AND corona light either.

I don’t have any suggestions on volume, I didn’t get that far because I was too shocked by the amt of options LOL

Post # 4
9526 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2013

We had a summer wedding for 160. We had water, lemondae, iced tea, beer, wine and 3 cocktails (old fashioned, hurricane, vodka lemonade). Alcohol wise we got:

• 24 cases beer (this was also used the night before at the Welcome Dinner, just the wedding we would have probably bought about 18 cases)
  • 3 bottles (1.75 L) bourbon
  • 3 bottles (1.75 L) dark rum
  • 3 bottles (1.75 L) white rum
  • 3 bottles (1.75 L) vodka
  • 70 bottles wine (red, white, blush)
  • 12 bottles champagne (this was actually supposed to be used at the breakfast the next morning, but it got used at the wedding)

We erred on the side of getting too much and we definitely had left overs of everything except champagne. We had about 20 bottles of wine, maybe 5 cases of beer, and partial bottles of all the liquors. But we’ve been working our way through our stash in the 6 months since we got married. It’s not like it goes bad – except the wine, eventually.

Post # 5
422 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

Yea, I think you’ve got a LOT going on there for not having a plain ol’ full bar. 

We’re stocking our own bar… a signature bourbon cocktail, a white burgundy, a cava (sparkling), and a merlot. Beer selection is stella, miller light (for FI’s dad, it’s the only thing he drinks, not my personal taste), and probably some sort of craft beer, like schlafly or something. 

I personally would cut down on the number of signature cocktails, pick 2-3 beers, and probably only one type of red (i’d go with merlot). it’s summer time so red wine won’t be consumed as much as other drinks.

as for quantity, use a drink calculator online

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors