How much candy for about 250 guests? And help with type of candy.

posted 3 years ago in Favors
Post # 5
6964 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2015

@blessings:  It really depends on the types of containers you’re using. I would assume each guest would fill a container- that way you account for people who aren’t taking any and people who go back for more. 

Post # 6
1397 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

I got 1/2 pound bags, so I figured about 60 lbs of candy for 120 guests

Post # 7
97 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

Are you doing a candy bar? or gift favors?

My Besty did gift favors for 100 guests and she purchased approx 9 lbs of assorted candy. Starbursts, smarties, laffy taffy, skittles. plus her gift boxes she bought at Michael’s, everything was finished for around the $40 mark. and they were soo cute. Silver to match her decor tied it with ribon and fancy candy inside. plus she said she had lots left over. Depending on what type you picked, I would be you should be able to make it work with approx 15-20lbs.

Post # 9
2620 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

dum dum pops, andes mints in the big containers, starbursts,sour patch kids

we did alot of candy- thinking 200-300 pounds and all were gone by the end of the night we had 135 guests and chinese take out boxes- the medium size

Post # 10
187 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

@blessings:  We did a candy bar at our wedding for about 150 guests.  I purchased the following and it was WAY TOO MUCH!!  My guests barely made a dent in it (despite the fact that I saw quite a few guests take multiple trips). We had over half of the candy left at the end of the night if that gives you any indication. 

*Purple Jordan Almonds – 5lb
*Lavender Pearl Sixlets Candy – 10lb
*Purple Huckleberry Taffy: 3LB Bag
*Coffee Prims Hard Candy: 5LB Bag
*Purple Snow Kisses Candy: 3LB Bag
*Bogdon’s Mint Reception Candy Sticks: approx 185 sticks
*Purple Candy Stick: approx 160 sticks
*Silver Wrapped Milk Chocolate Caramels: 6LB
*Hershey’s Kisses Milk Chocolate Candy: 56-Ounce Bag
*Purple Hershey’s Kisses Dark Chocolate Candy: 100-Piece Bag
*Puffy Poles Lavender & White Jumbo Marshmallow Twists: 1KG Bag
*Purple Grape Gummy Bears: 10LB Bag
*Silver Buttermints: 2LB

Here is the finished candy bar so you can see what it looked like with that amount:

Also, these are the containers guests were given to fill up:

Post # 13
22 posts
Newbee

For an August 3 wedding, I’d be concerned about temperature, even if in a controlled environment. I went to a wedding last summer (last week of July) where the couple had a candy bar but despite the controlled environment of the venue, a lot of the candies clumped or even melted together a little bit simply through transporting to the facility.

I’d avoid anything chocolate that isn’t coated for sure.

I don’t have a ton of insight for planning a candy bar, but I would purchase on the lower end. It’s okay to run out of candy. I would shop to fill up the containers you have and make them attractive. It’s a favor, not a dinner or dessert.

Good luck, beautiful photos previous poster, by the way!

Post # 14
35 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: March 2014

You could get some candy more specific to the older crowd, not make it a huge percentage, but add some nostalgic candy to the mix.  I made a gift basket for my grandpa with all kinds of candy from the 50’s and he LOVED it! He said he hadn’t had some of the types of candy in decades!  I ordered from oldtimecandy.com because they seemed to have it together, but again, this might not be cheaper!

The only thing I can offer is Boston Baked Beans, they are cheap, available, and coated.  Not a candy I would ever think of, but my grandpa got pretty excited about them!

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors