How much diamond could we get for $1300?

posted 3 years ago in Rings
Post # 4
471 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2015

I’d check out Pricescope. 

Post # 5
1114 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

How do you feel about preloved? I got a beautiful .79 f color si1 princess cut solitaire off of ebay for $1500 to replace my lost engagement ring. If you open to preowned I would definitely look on ebay. A lot of really reputable small jewelers will sell on ebay. Its totally worth a look! 

Post # 6
434 posts
Helper bee

@Monicaab: With a $1,300 budget and a desire for a colorless diamond with your clarity specifications, you are looking at something .5 carats and under. I found a few .4 – .47 on Blue Nile that are very good cuts, F in color, no fluoresence and in your price range.

If I were you I would reduce the clarity and color grade to an SI1 and G,H, and I since it really won’t affect the sparkle of your diamond (if you get a excellent or very good cut) for a larger size in return. Our appraiser and jewelry said this is the place to really save money. 

Post # 7
795 posts
Busy bee

@Monicaab:  Hi!! Fellow Okie here! Definitely check out now I do now I don’t, I would even look at pawn shops. 

Post # 8
1346 posts
Bumble bee

On Blue Nile you can get up to .5 ct for rounds, or larger for different cuts. I think cushion cuts offer the largest size for your price, at around .65 ct.

ETA: just noticed your second post, do you like Old European cuts? 

Post # 9
150 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

If you must buy new and within exactly those parameters, here’s what I’d choose:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.43-carat-e-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-287557

HOWEVER– that is not what I’d choose for myself given my own personal standards. 

Unfortunately, the specifications you’ve chosen really restrict what you can buy. 

“I want something in the D-F range and VS1-2 for clarity. Beyond that I don’t have a clue. I knew nothing about diamonds before joining the bee shortly before we got engaged.”

If you’ve learned everything you know about diamonds from the bee, you should probably step back and do some more research. The bee is a great resource for many things, and there are a few people here who know a lot about diamonds, but there are SO, SO many people here who are sorely misinformed and their posts just perpetuate that misinformation. The bee is not what I’d consider to be a good diamond resource. If I were you, I’d check out pricescope.com for more information. I say this as a professional who works with diamonds for a living. 

If you decide to go with a preowned diamond, $1300 will get you a lot further. That being said, I would NOT try to navigate the preowned/non-retail market (think LoupeTroop, eBay, IDoNowIDont, DiamondBistro, etc.) without getting help from someone who is an expert. Again, I recommend pricescope.

Post # 10
1114 posts
Bumble bee

@beanowl:  +1 

Definitely do your research and shop around!! It may take you a little while to find the perfect deal, and being well educated in what you are shopping for whill make it really easy!  Also, stop by a store and look at different color and clarities, so that if you do decide to buy online you know exactly what you are getting. 

Post # 11
1216 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

@beanowl:  +1 This seems like great advice to me!

Post # 12
559 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 1993

I will second Pricescope.  They know diamonds and will help you get the most bang for your buck. Theyi helped me get a beautiful 1.2 ct RB for much less than I would have gotten at a B&M I couldn’t be happier. 

Post # 13
795 posts
Busy bee

@Monicaab:  also, not sure if this is your cup of tea or not, but if you would consider moissanite, you could get almost anything you wanted for about $1,200. If I had known what I know now, I would’ve considered it myself. 

Post # 14
1106 posts
Bumble bee

Mine is a .40 Gia cert vs2 ex cut for 1,400$ I would def sacrifice color and go down to vs2 for size. You could probably get a .6-.7 with I color for your budget

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors