- 5 years ago
- Wedding: July 2013
I’ve read a bunch of different sequences of events for wedding ceremonies.. and not sure what we like. I was hoping you all could help!
A few things to note:
* We are having a 100% secular outdoor ceremony, in the woods. So no church or religious traditions to consider.
* Our officiant is a close friend of ours.
* Neither FI or I have mothers, BUT we each have a very special aunt who we would love to give a special place in the processional.
* FI has only his paternal grandmother/grandfather. I have only my paternal grandmother.
* We want FI’s father to have a place – is it weird for the father to escort the groom??
* My Matron of Honor and his Best Man are themselves married, and we would like them to walk together. (I’ve seen some setups where the best man is waiting at the top with the groom and the MoH has to walk alone.. I don’t want that for us)
* We have two “flower children” (brother and sister) both with autism, former students of mine, and although I think it is customary for the flowergirl to go down BEFORE the bride… I think I’d like them to walk after me so that they have a familiar face to come to. They will not be throwing petals, but instead will each have a ribbon wand to wave.
* Our ring bearer is the Matron of Honor/Best Man’s son, and will be 3, and will have FI’s cousin escort him.
So… here’s what we are thinking so far:
* FI’s grandmother with escort (either grandfather or FI’s brother, who is not a groomsman) and will take a seat in the front row
* My grandmother escorted by my cousin and will take a seat in the front row
* FI’s aunt will be escorted (by her hubby?) and will take a seat in front row
* My aunt will be escorted (by her hubby?) and will take a seat in front row
* Groom (…with his dad?? that’s kind of weird, no?)
* Bridal Party – four pairs of Maids/Groomsmen, ending with the MoH/BM
* Bride (escorted by my dad)
* Flower Children (with ribbon wands, not petals!)
* Ring bearer (escorted by FI’s cousin)
Questions for you Bees…
1. Include FI’s brother? If so, WHERE? FI and his brother have never been even remotely close, but we know it would mean the world to his brother to have a small place in the wedding. We thought of him escorting their grandmother – but then what about their grandfather?? I think I’d prefer her walking with her husband (they are probably the most adorable older couple ever). So then we thought of his brother escorting his aunt… but his aunt doesn’t really want to walk with him. Probably sounds horrible but, he has always been the black sheep of the family (lots of issues – drugs, mental, trouble with law, etc.) and has caused some drama and crazy things in the past. BUT he’s being treated now for his mental issues…
2. Who to escort FI’s aunt? Since she does not wish to be escorted by FI’s brother… then who? Her son is a GM, and her daughter is escorting our ringbearer. Her hubby is the only obvious choice, right? But then I feel bad about FI’s brother…
3. FI’s Dad? Is it totally awkward for the GROOM to be escorted by his father? FI never knew his mother, he was raised by his dad with some help from his aunt. So they’re close, and it would be nice to honor him in some way… Any other suggestions where to include him? Should he just walk down by himself at some point? Soo clueless on this. 🙁
4. Flower Children! Is it okay for them to walk after the bride and before the ringbearer? I love the idea because I’ll be a familiar face for them. PLUS added bonus: I’m a cryer, and I can imagine myself crying THE ENTIRE DAY. And I picture my walk down the aisle with my beloved daddy being a HUGE tear-jerker. It might be nice to see those adorable little cuties come frolicking down after me to lighten my mood! What do you think??
Anyyyy help would be appreciated! <3