(Closed) How to balance maiden name for career & married name elsewhere?

posted 6 years ago in Names
Post # 3
5096 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

@grashi:  If you’re keeping your maiden name professionally, I think it would be easier NOT to legally change it. That way all your official forms related to work (tax forms, etc.) will be consistent, but you can go by your married name socially.

p.s. CONGRATS on your PhD!!!!!

Post # 4
332 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

@grashi:  I’ve been told where I’m at you just pay extra to do that. Not sure if it’s the same for you.

Post # 5
454 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I’m an engineer too!  yay

Anyway I chose to move my maiden name to a second middle name, and take my husband’s last name as mine.  At work, I go by First Maiden NewLast.  But I’m applying for my PE exam and I’m doing it under my new last name.

I think it’s a little different because I don’t publish and I don’t have any graduate degrees either.  I think in your case, it would much easier to NOT change your last name.  Socially (I’m thinking things like invitations, restaurant reservations, introductions, etc) I would just feel free to use your husband’s last name as your own, or allow people to assume it without correcting them.  Do you think that setup would work for you?

Post # 6
378 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

I would recommend not changing your name at this point – I was having this conversation with a friend of mine who changed her name to Anna Maidienname HisLastName (Maidenname is her middle name now) and I was complaining about how long my new hyphenated last name will be, and she told me that within the next year or two, author IDs will start to be widely used and will catch on so that people can choose freely whether or not to change their name and not have to worry about being recognized for past work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ORCID Here it is in case you’re interested!

The topic ‘How to balance maiden name for career & married name elsewhere?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors