- 3 years ago
- Wedding: January 2014
I’ve seen more than a few posts about finding good wedding photographers. Sometimes its hard to find that person who will take the pictures you wish. Thought it would be interesting if we have some bees exchange some information and experiences with finding their wedding photographer.
Some backgound on myself – I used to do pro photography for a little over 15 years. It was a passion but now I teach English as a second language and have been doing that for the last couple years.
Some of the things I would recommend to any friend if looking for wedding photographers without having to depend on wedding vendors:
1. ASMP (American Society of Media Photographers)
This association has been around a very long time. There are true professionals on this site which is connected to their site links so you can see their work in the location your seeking.
Interestingly, asmp also has a page with photo assistant information. MANY times the photographer assistants on this site are true professionals and will and can do wedding photography. Just because they are an assistant does not mean they aren’t as good or better than any other photographer. And the photo assistants usually have their site links available.
If you like a photographers work on asmp but can’t figure out how to locate them it would be best to contact asmp using the main phone number.
2. Professional Photographers of America (PPA)
Same situation applies as shown on number 1.
3. American Photographic Artists (APA)
Same situation applies as shown on number 1.
4. Its always worthwhile to check out universitiy photography departments especially. If students are majoring in photography they really do know what they are doing. Most students will have portfolios, professional equiptment they use and will have web sites showing their work. Most importantly they are willing to do the work cheaper because they are hungary, interested or wish to build their portfolio. The most important thing to students is usually referrals if they are looking to break into the business. A bride may be able to have more than a few photographers at their wedding if affordable enough.
5. In the past I have even gone to jr. college with a few professional photographers who would take photo classes for fun. And I have to say some photo students have the ‘it’ factor. Some people have the ‘touch’ although they may not have much schooling yet. It may be worth putting up an ad in the photo department and checking out some peoples work. And everyone seems to have a web site now showing what they can do. A bride may be able to have more than a few photographers at their wedding if affordable enough.
6. I put this as number 6 not because its least important but because its expensive. How expensive? You would need to call and find out. You may want to sit down for this one. National Geographic has had ads in the back of the magazine which have advertised brides can get a National Geographic photographer to take journalistic shots at their wedding! OMG! Even if the ad is not in back of the magazine anymore one can still call the main offices and ask. If you got the money flow I’m sure they will be willing to do the work. I’ve also heard from other professionals Time magazine offers these services. These are the best photographers in the world and no one would be able to do any better work.
One reason why wedding photographers charge so much:
If the wedding photographer is serious he will have ‘wedding photographer insurance.’ Most brides are not aware of this when they pay those high wedding photographers. What this insurance does? If you have ever met any bride ever or are one yourself then you can guess at the anger which would happen if the pictures came out crappy. And it happens because its part of life. Equiptment fails and or breaks, weather affects lighting, etc. So, the pressure is on for the wedding photographer. Wedding insurance makes it so if equiptment fails, if the photographer forgets to put film in his camera, if all the pictues are destroyed somehow the insurance kicks in. This insurance will pay for the wedding party to fly back to wherever the wedding took place (even out of the country), will pay for people missing work, flights, for tuxes to be rented again, make-up artists, venues, will pay for your wedding cake to be made again, hair stylists to make your wedding happen all over again.
If your having a a professional take pictures of your wedding it would be a good idea to ask if they have ‘wedding insurance.’ And it would be good to know exactly what it covers.
And as always if you have wedding pictures post away!