- 5 years ago
- Wedding: May 2013
Hi fellow bees. I am in a quandry. I have been feeling very anxious about the wedding reception for quite some time now. This is mostly because of my fiance’s unruly family. I am so afraid they are going to absolutely RUIN the day and reception and embarass me and my family.
– My FI and I are Christians and have very similar values to that of my own family
– My mother tragically passed away 2 years ago and it is so difficult. Everyone invited to the wedding who is my family friends really understand and respect this and feel that the wedding will have a feeling of respect to it for my mom’s death… and they realize that it might not seem like a huge PARTY to our family – while it is a celebration and joyous, it is very very hard and also SAD that my mom is not here!
– The fact that my mom died seems to be lost on my FI’s family. He has 4 siblings and at times sometimes I honestly think they forgot or are oblivious to the fact that my mom died. They look at this wedding as an opportunity to get TRASHED and wasted…not to celebrate our holy union.
– None of my FI’s family shares the faith
– My FI’s father has been known to pull HORRENDOUS “pranks” at weddings that he thinks are hilarious – such as pulling down his brother’s pants during his brother dancing with his new bride in front of all the wedding guests…a few more horrible stories
– FI’s siblings are already upset that there wont’ be hard liquor at wedding, just beer and wine
How can I take CONTROL of this day and not let them ruin it and embarass me and my family in the process?? FI is sort of ambivalent and seems to think his family is joking when they threaten to pull pranks or get really drunk at the wedding… I am getting devesated about it. What should I do?!