How to keep from tripping on a trumpet dress? (DB Style T9612)

posted 3 years ago in Dress
Post # 2
718 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2014 - Church and University

A seamstress will discern where it needs to be hemmed so you don’t step on it.  You shouldn’t have to figure it out and if you do, go to someone else!  ALLLLL dresses can be hemmed and they are all intended to unless you’re a model height of 5’10”.  Congratulations!

Post # 4
219 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

What about one-hoop petticoat? It will keep the skirt away from your feet.

Post # 5
6980 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

I’d get a crinoline to keep it away from your feet on the bottom.

Post # 9
231 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

I wore a dress this shape and I kicked the front of the skirt out a bit with each step. That kept me from stepping on it.

Post # 10
297 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2014

kyradomini22:  Having a shorter hem I think would work.

I’m still waiting for my dress, but when I was being measured (I ordered a custom length so I wouldn’t have to have the hem taken up later and potentially ruin all the lace) the alterations lady first pinned the hem so it was just touching the floor. I didn’t trip but I knew I’d end up doing so on the wedding day, moving around and what-not. So she pinned it one inch above the floor and you still couldn’t see my shoes. I feel more comfortable with the slightly shorter hem. So that’s a possibility for you as well. I think this method might not work for a dress that falls close to your feet, like a Grecian style, but with a trumpet shape that poofs away from the feet, a shorter hem is not as noticeable IMO.

Post # 11
1136 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2015

kyradomini22:  I definitely vote hoop! This is my dress and I’ve purchased one – I tried it on first without the hoop and then with and it made the world of difference!

PS I should add definitely get mermaid hoop, the one you’ve pictured does look like it starts a bit higher – mine makes no difference to the body of the dress (still get the defined hour glass look!) it just keeps the bottom of the skirt away from my feet.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by  Miss_E_xx.
Post # 12
423 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2016 - Our Castle

I found that my dress had some tule at the bottom that helped move the dress out when i walked, just eough that i didnt step on it.. Maybe try a variety of undersirts etc?..

believe it or not a little tule wont always show. this is just the online display pic.

Post # 13
1236 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2014 - San Francisco, CA

A little hoop-age will keep you from tripping on it AND make it more comfortable/less hot around your legs. Maybe try that?

Post # 13
30284 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2011

kyradomini22:  I just wanted to say that I wore that exact crinoline on my wedding day and loved it! 🙂

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors