@Emma20130601: I have taken care of a family member’s husky while they were deployed. I had him for about a year and he’s 1 as well. I’m a hude dog lover and have three smaller breed dogs myself. I love this husky but I do have to say that you most likely you will need to be prepared for a lot of work, but if you love the dog it will be well worth it.
1. They are super smart. Said husky makes 2 of my guys look like complete idiots.
2. They are not guard dogs by nature. They LOVE every human.
3. They can climb fences and are very agile.
4. They counter surf. My dog trainer told me it’s hard to break this because they’re such an agile breed and counters fall within their natural range of motion.
5. My brother’s dog can walk through the woods once and know how to get back to the same spot FOREVER.
6. I’ve heard they LOVE to kill livestock, like chickens etc.
7. May be TOO playful with smaller breeds. My brother’s husky LOVES to play with my 4 lb dog. While they play well together, they only play while supervised just because I could see the husky picking the little guy up and shaking him in a playful manner that could kill the other. Tis has never happened but I’m just cautious.
8. They need a TON of exercise and the breed will run and never return. The farm you have sounds like an awesome place for a husky but I do suugest a run for it.
9. They dig. So probably not the best breed if you have gorgeous gardens.
10. They’re a pack breed, they do love to have a friend.
11. They’re known to be able to turn door knobs etc, open lids on trash cans, they all problem solvers.
12. They make a great running partner in the the right climate.
13. A few times a year they shed, AWFUL. Just buy a Furminator and you’ll be find, the other 50 weeks of the year they don’t shed that badly.
As long as my brother’s husky is exercised properly he is a complete joy to have around. If he’s been cooped up for too many days due to rain or something, he gets a little mischevious. I would highly suggest a husky to love if you aren’t looking for a low maintenance dog. I think they’re one of the most loyal breeds and can be big huge cuddlers. Also the husky I’ve taken care of aced obedience class is no time and LOVES kids.
If you google polar bears and huskies you can see a great video of the two animals actually getting along playing together, it’s crazy.
If you’re ready for the responsibility I say adopt her!