- 6 years ago
- Wedding: October 2011
**At this point it’s just a hypothetical but it may be reality for us at some point.**
Let’s say your husband started a new job working remotely. The company he’s working for is based overseas in Europe and you live in the states. Your husband would potentially have to relocate to Europe for a few months (let’s say 3-6) and you have the option to either go with him or stay put. There are pros and cons to both…
Pros for relocating:
• It’s Europe. You’ve never been and you’d get to experience a whole new world for an extended period of time.
• Once there, it’s a heck of a lot easier to see the other European countries so beyond just learning the culture of the city you’d be moving to, you’d be able to spend time in countless other places.
• You would have a job waiting for you when you arrive so you’ll still have income on top of the money that your husband is making.
• Housing will be covered by the company for your husband so it wouldn’t really cost you anything besides transportation expenses.
Cons for relocating:
• You’d still need to maintain your home in the states since this wouldn’t be a permanent move. That means continuing to pay rent/mortgage, utilities, car payments, insurances, pretty much everything.
• You’ll have pets. Giving them up would never happen and asking a family member to care for them for an extended period of time would be a lot. Bringing them with you is an option but crating them for an international flight is easier said than done and who’s to say the hotel/condo that you’re staying at will even allow them.
• You’re very close with your family and it would be hard to leave them. 3 months would probably be do-able but anything longer would be too much.
Pros to staying:
• You keep your current job. If you were to relocate, you would more than likely have to start to job hunt when you moved back if your position overseas couldn’t be done remotely.
• The money that you’d have to pay for your living expenses regardless, would actually go to use since you’ll still be living here.
• You would be able to fly overseas a few times throughout the period that your husband would be there (probably 3-4 times).
• This would solve the pet issue. You wouldn’t have an issue boarding them or asking a family member to watch then if you’ll only be gone for a week at a time.
Cons to staying:
• Missing your husband like crazy. You’d survive but it’s not something that you’d want to do if you could avoid it
• You’d be super jealous that he’s experiencing this whole new world as you’re stuck back home in the states.
• Even with traveling over a few times, you don’t know how much time you’d really get to spend together. He’ll be working so it’s not like you’d get him the entire time you’re there.
• Traveling over multiple times will get pretty expensive.
Like I said, as of right now this is a non-issue but it could potentially be a decision that we have to make at some point. When that time comes, we’ll really have to evaluate what’s going on in our lives to make the best decision for us but I’m just looking for some outside feedback.
What would you do, given the pros and cons?