(Closed) I am 99.9% sure we are going to elope…

posted 6 years ago in Elopement
Post # 3
1306 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

I agree with your Fiance – it is about the two of you and you shouldn’t feel guilty!

Those who love you will be happy for you, despite their disappointment. Maybe to counter this, you can do a small dinner to celebrate? Then your children will have a chance to share the joy of the event without the overstimulation and pressure of a “big wedding day”.

Post # 5
1202 posts
Bumble bee

If you really want to get married, I don’t see why you can’t just go ahead and elope. You’ve obviously got a lot of stuff going on, and there’s no need to pile on more stuff.

It is for you two, so don’t feel guilty. But, if you do want to include people, you could always tell them,’look, we’re getting married this day, nothing fancy; if you want to be there, that’d be great’. 

You could always save a big celebration for a few years later when things are better for you. There’s no reason for you to put it off if you want to get married now just because other people envision a really big party.

Post # 6
768 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Sounds like eloping is the best idea! I have a 4 1/2 year old from a previous relationship and me and my fiancé have a six month old. We were planning a wedding and then realized it was way too complicated. We are buying a house, which to us is a better investment than a wedding that neither of us very interested in anyways. We were mostly doing it for family. We also came across the whole “who’s gonna watch our kids at the wedding??” thing. It just seemed like itd be more stress than pleasure. So I’m right there w you girl! 🙂

Post # 8
471 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

I have an autistic child so I understand the challenges that you are facing. I think you should do whatever is best for your family and probably low key would be better in your situation. Given that your wedding date is so close to her transitioning to a new school, teacher, routine, bus schedule, etc. I think you are wise to elope as those things will be a struggle for her to adjust to.

Post # 9
55 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

Yup, totally elope! Your reasons are way less selfish than mine (my Father-In-Law offerred us a giant sum of money to elope and I am kicking myself everyday for not taking it LOL)…

but also, I know there are some people who just love love LOVE going to weddings….and then there are some who really probably wouldn’t be bothered. You’ll be okay whatever you choose and if people are seriously upset that you didn’t go the total wedding/reception route maybe they’d just throw a little get together for you 🙂

Post # 10
4954 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

Elope! Sounds like it will be the best plan for ya!

The topic ‘I am 99.9% sure we are going to elope…’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors