(Closed) I don't know ANYTHING about jobs!

posted 5 years ago in Career
Post # 3
Member
899 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

I believe that in most jobs, it is fine to ask them to wait. However, if you were a teacher in the UK then you would be expected to accept on the day the job was offered…

Post # 5
Member
2622 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

Call Preschool B and tell them that you have been offered a job, but that they are your  first choice. Is it possible to move the interview to tomorrow.

 

Its only a day difference, but that can make difference. Plus they now know you are desireable. Then be sure to ask them what their decision timeframe is on the same call so you know if you even can interview with them.  Then make a decision based on your new information.

 

 EDIT: I would be carfeful making them wait too long. Its not a high level position and they could easily just offer the job to someone else if they think you dont want the job.

 

Post # 7
Member
70 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

@mepayne:  I would accept job A, still go to interview for job B, and if they offer too, accept and tell job A that you appreciate the opportunity, but you’ve found a position more suited to your long term goals. 

Post # 8
Member
733 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

Did preschool A tell you how soon they would need your answer? If not, you should ask them.

Post # 9
Member
652 posts
Busy bee

@SweetWildflower1:  oh no, please don’t do that. It’s actually frowned upon when you accept one position and then days or weeks later you take another.

i can attest to being on the other side of the interview table for two different firms. One person did take our offer, signed the offer letter and we thought we were good to go. Days later he said he took another position. Then my boss told me that’s not ethically right. Plus that person burned his bridges because we put him on the “black list”. People should know that it’s ok to tell the firm you had a few interviews and want to wait to hear from them before you make a decision. It’s perfectly fine and acceptable to do so. 

Post # 10
Member
70 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

@Scar_cats_tic:  I have always done this in order not to lose the first opportunity and I’ve never had anything negative happen because of it. 

Post # 12
Member
733 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

@mepayne: I would be very straightforward. “I am very excited about the job! I just have a few things to consider and was wondering when you need to know whether I am able to accept the job. Thank you so much!”

If they give you a few days, I might wait to ask the other preschool about their timeframe until during the interview. That way, they have a chance to see whether they are excited about you or not.

Post # 13
Member
1423 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

It’s perfectly fine to tell them you have other opportunities available and ask for more time to make a decision.  It’s also a good time to try and negotiate a better starting salary (always negotiate on starting salary — it is the best time to get a good raise), or vacation time (doesn’t cost them as much as a wage increase), etc. if they want you to start right away. 

Post # 14
Member
13 posts
Newbee

@SweetWildflower1:  It is highly unethical to accept a job and then go back on your word. Not a good way to start out your career. 

@mepayne:  A few days to a week for you to make up your mind is normal. I would ask Preschool A when they need your decision by, and while you are in your interview with Preschool B tell them that you already have an offer for Preschool A but would prefer to work for Preschool B and if they could let you know as soon as possible if they are going to offer you the job. Do you know if they have a lot of applicants? 

Post # 15
Member
2168 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

@mepayne:  Ask school A for time to consider the offer. Go to the interview at school B and give it your very best!! Before the interview ends be sure to tell them that you have an attractive offer from school A and a deadline to accept. Be sure to also tell them your preference is to accept a job with them (school B), but play it cool. Now they have to scramble and make you a competitive offer within your timeframe if they want you. Turn the tables on them. 

Good luck!!!!

The topic ‘I don't know ANYTHING about jobs!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors