- 2 years ago
- Wedding: November 2014
Just a bit of a background:
I went to my dress-maker in June of this year. He’s well-known and highly-regarded in my area, and anyone I’ve met that had their dress made by him were nothing less than satisfied. However, as I’ve found out for myself, he’s known to push things back as much as he can. So, my first fitting was scheduled for August 25. I should’ve been stern with him each time he pushed the date back, but I trusted his talents and told myself all would be fine- this is my fault. So anyway- first scheduled fitting for August 25- actual first fitting? This past Monday, October 13.
I tried on my dress, and it’s really not even close to what I wanted. Mind you, I tried to leave photos with him, asked him if he would give me his email so I could send pics, and he refused each time. The color was almost like a champagne color when it was supposed to be ivory, the lace WAS ivory and popped out way too much in contrast with the dress’ material, the shape was all wrong, the lace on the skirt was all wrong, and the corset was weird and not anything like it should’ve been. He kept trying to make excuses, like the champagne color was “beautiful and that anything lighter would probably make me look washed out”, when umm no, I tried on tons of ivory and white wedding dresses and they looked perfectly fine. Then his next excuse was that if I had ivory material, the lace would not pop. I told him I didn’t want it to pop, that it was just supposed to lay on the dress and blend in, like most wedding dresses w/ lace. To make matters even more frustrating, we could just not seem to get on the same page, and at this point, I do not have time to just hope that things work out since my wedding is 3 WEEKS AWAY. I left there stressed out and devastated, and cried for the better part of Tuesday morning wondering what in the heck I’m going to do. Thankfully I think I’ve figured it out now, but I just do not want my custom-made dress.
The thing is, Im so bad at being assertive with people and i’m so scared to tell him because I know he’s going to be super upset and frustrated. My hopes are that surely he will understand my worries since the wedding is 3 weeks away? What I feel really bad about is, is that he was going to completely rebuild the dress(with a slightly lighter color than the original champagne material- it was all he had in his shop) and let me choose between the two. I thought he was doing that over the weekend and that I was to come in on Monday after work to try it on, but I received a voicemail from him today that he was waiting for me at his shop to try the new dress on!!!
I guess I”m just on here looking for advice on how to approach this, and to see another side of this in case I am in the wrong on firing him. I’ve already put down a $500 deposit, and I don’t know if I should request for that back or not. THe thought of doing that is even more terrifying than having to tell him I no longer want the dress. Your input is greatly appreciated!