Post # 1
Darling Husband and I are talking about when to TTC. It is such a big decision that I keep feeling like there is something else we should do first to be ready. DH is finishing up his training 1.5 hours away in about 10 months. We have a house and an apartment and see each other on the weekends and about once during the week. DH thinks we should start TTC since we will be living together again around the time baby would arrive, we are both 33, and is concerned we will run into trouble if we wait much longer. The main drawbacks are:
1. we don’t fully live together but will by the time baby is born, although this will be an adjustment.
2. While he has several job offers, he hasn’t decided which one vs. opening his own business. (I have a very secure job that could pay for our living expenses with a child.)
3. our health insurance is through him and requires us to use an OB and hospital about 1-1.5 hours away from my house/work. (I could switch this at the beginning of 2014.)
We have done a lot to prepare including:
discussed this with my doc at my last pap- she gave us the OK
up to date with all dental work
I don’t smoke, drink alcohol or caffeine, and have been taking prenatals.
Set up short-term disability insurance since I don’t get paid maternity leave
learning a lot from these boards and reading books on parenting
I have been charting for a year (I have the paragard)
We have done several things on our bucket list like international travel, half marathon, etc.
I keep thinking there is something I am missing that I will be kicking myself for not doing. Has anyone else had this? Is there anything I am missing?
Post # 3
Kudos to you for doing so much preparation already! I think it sounds like you guys are ready to start trying – the only negative I can see on your list is that you don’t currently live together (may be harder to time baby-making while you are apart, and as you said living together will be an adjustment). The drawbacks all seem to be things that are manageable, just not ideal.
Post # 4
- Wedding: September 2011 - Baby boy 12/2015
You seem to have it all together, maybe not living together with your Darling Husband is making you feel this way. You say he will be done with his training in 10 months, would you wait until he is done to TTC or the plan is to start asap?
Post # 5
It sounds like you guys are pretty prepared!
The only thing I can add is about insurance and short term disability.
1) sign up for disability tomorrow. It may take a while (a few weeks) to process, and there are some where pregnancy is a pre-existing condition and you will be denied. I signed up for long term disability during open enrollment and was denied due to pregnancy myself.
2) how will your insurance (as its through DH) change when Darling Husband accepts a job offer? Again, some insurance plans will deny maternity coverage if you’re pregnant when you sign up for it. And if it takes a few months while TTC, you may end up without coverage at the end of your pregnancy/for birth.
3) Can you confirm with another practive that you will be able to switch to an OB in that practice? some will not take new patients at the end of their pregnancy.
Just things I had to think through for my own situation, hopefully these questions have easy answers and you both can get started asap! Good luck!!!!