- 4 years ago
- Wedding: November 2013
This is my experience and is not endorsed, I paid for my dress 🙂
I live in SE asia so being “full figured” or curvy (about a street size 14 now) is a nightmare when it comes to clothing. So, on a recent trip home I happily made my way to a few dress boutiques/shops and tried on any and every dress that caught my eye, but nothing was “perfect” and no shop was willing to do the alterations I wanted for any dress I would consider. One lady looked like she was going to be sick when my grandmother mentioned cutting the train off of a Vera Wang I tried on. Which led me to Dressilyme.com
I spent a lot of time looking for reviews and browsing different sites looking for the perfect dress. I fell in love with one from the Dressilyme site and luckily I found some awesome reviews that strengthened my confidence in buying from them. This is the dress from the site:
I had a few alterations done to the original design, chose to have the dress custom made from my measurements, and added pockets!! the total price was under $250 after shipping via DHL and it all took about 3.5 weeks.
I’m not a seamstress, nor are my family members (at least not professionally) but my Mum and Nana altered my sister’s Vera Wang for her last summer before her wedding (and did a beautiful job). They both inspected my dress, ever seam and all the detailing and could not believe how little I paid for it! (sorry for the poor quality, it was a quick fit check while the boys were out)
I just love and and it fit like a glove!
Tips and tricks I picked up while doing my research:
– Try to find a dress that they already make and have pictures of “their version”. The bad reviews I found were almost always completely custom jobs.
– If you want custom work or alterations be very very specific.
– If you are okay with the look, lace up backs make fitting a bit easier and more forgiving.
– Give yourself lots of time incase you need alterations when the dress arrives
– Ask for picture updates while the dress is being constructed, ask that they send a photo of the complete dress before they send it so that you can verify or ask for any changes before it gets to you. Most companies like this do not offer any returns.
If you have any questions, ask away 🙂 I’ll try my best to answer them based on my experience!