I have a job interview across the country…what should I do?

posted 3 years ago in Career
Post # 3
Member
424 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

What’s the job market like for CA?  Is this a once in a lifetime  kind of opportunity, or could you find something similar closer to home?

Post # 4
Member
3222 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

@likewoah:  What do you really want to do?

You need to think about the pros and cons of this job before it’s offered to you because then the pressure is really on. Consider whether a few months of forgoing an income while you find a job in CA will be worth it, or if you really do need to move for this specific job. Also consider the fact that you’ll be paying for two households instead of one. 

I recently had to make a similar decision and realized that taking a six figure paycut to stay in my expensive-but-not-nearly-NYC-expensive city was worth it since I would be in NYC by myself, while my FI would remain in Toronto. For me, it was also a major prestigious career move, but in the end, the simple emotional need to continue living with my FI took greater precedence over the job offer. However, I was able to make that decision knowing that we wouldn’t go broke/struggle should I stay in Toronto and continue job searching. If finances required me to move, I would have!

Also, discuss your husband’s realistic job opportunities in the new city. Would he be able to find a position from across the country? Would a position in the new city pay as much? Would he have room to grow? You won’t want to be stuck in a bicoastal relationship, so hammer down these details before moving forward. You have time until the offer comes, but get on it!

Post # 5
Member
641 posts
Busy bee

Interview! Hell, you can always say no, if you look over your options and decide it’s not right. But I would say GO FOR IT. It’s always easier to move around on your level in a career than it is to get the opportunity to take the next step up.

Post # 6
Hostess
7630 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: January 2013

I would go ahead and interview. Unless you don’t want the job (which doesn’t sound true) you should hear their offer before ruling it out. 

Post # 7
Member
5199 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2013

Don’t cancel the interview.  Leave your options open.  

Post # 8
Hostess
15072 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

Dh and I have had this same conversation. He’s had a few offers where he would be States away for at least a year. We concluded that if he had a good enough offer that it would benefit our future we would do it. I would stay behind so our youngest could finish his senior year and once he goes away to college I would follow. 

In the end it’s about how you two communicate. Dh and I have been apart a few times for three months or longer so it’s tested our communication and how we handle things. We did pretty good, to my surprise. I never thought I could handle it. 

How would moving affect you dh’s career? Could he find a career step in the area to which you are looking at? 

Post # 9
Member
4831 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

Go to the interview and make the decision when an offer is on the table. You will learn a lot by going there and meeting people and having an actual decision to make. Right now your decision is whether or not to turn down an interview, not a job.

Post # 10
Member
11668 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

@likewoah:  Go for the interview at least.  This is probably a once in a lifetime opportunity! You can worry about the logistics and make the decisions when you get the job.

Post # 12
Member
3677 posts
Sugar bee

@likewoah:  DEFINITELY accept the interview! As far as accepting the job, that’s a whole other decision – cross that bridge if and when an offer materializes. But, in academia? Definitely go on the interview, check out the campus and colleagues, make some connections. I don’t know what field you’re in, but something like this is an opportunity for you to meet colleagues at a top institution. Whether this turns into a job offer or not, you can talk to them about your research, and down the road who knows what that might lead to? One of them might be interested in collaborating with you on a project, or they might know a colleague at XYZ University who would be a great connection for you to have, etc. … no matter what, at least take the interview!

Post # 14
Member
3222 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

@likewoah:  I live in a city that is cheaper than NYC (Toronto) and I don’t think I’d survive here in a neighbourhood worth living in on $50k/year. I have spent summers in NYC interning, and unless you have assets and you’re husband makes a better income, your standard of living will likely suffer. 

Post # 15
Member
2062 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

@likewoah:  I am in your exact position but I have a son! If they offer me the job, I will take it as well as my son. I will come back to where my DH lives during the summers. When (and if) my husband can join us, he will. We are not an attached-at-the-hip couple by any means.

ETA: That was before I read about the paycut. Outch!

Post # 16
Member
2783 posts
Sugar bee

@likewoah:  if you take the job I doubt you’d be able to live in the city, you’ll probably have to commute into the city on that budget..

Leave a comment


Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors