I just made a $341.86 mistake…my DH is going to FLIP

posted 3 years ago in The Lounge
Post # 3
Hostess
9919 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: May 2014

@crystlrox:  I used to work for a bank and sent international wires pretty regularly – if you told them the name on the receving account correctly there shouldn’t be an issue and it should have been accepted.  If you did give them the wrong name (married versus maiden) then it could be an issue.  I know we always had to verify everything 2 or 3 times to make sure it was correct, 9 times out of 10 I would send people away to verify things before sending because they can get so expensive.  I would contact the receiving bank as well and confirm WHY the transfer was declined. 

Post # 4
9244 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2012

@crystlrox:  Oh, my!  I would be upset, too.  But it was an innocent mistake.  Hopefully the bank will waive the extra charge but, if not, try not to stress too much.  These things happen to everyone sooner or later.  You should be able to share it with your husband, though.  I’m sure he’ll understand.  I wouldn’t hide it from him, that’s a lie of omission.  Just tell him and admit you made a mistake.  He’s not perfect either, right?  If my husband or I did something like that we wouldn’t be happy about it but we would definitely assure the other that it was ok and be comforting instead of blaming.  However, my ex-husband would have blasted me, so there’s that.  But he’s my ex.

Post # 5
6274 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2013

i’m really sorry that a mistake you make would cause your husband to start a fight.

can’t you just tell him you are sorry and you will cut costs somewhere else?

Post # 6
2355 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

@crystlrox:  Tell him. You don’t want to get into the habit of hiding things from your DH to simply avoid making him angry. He’ll be twice as angry if he finds out about something like this after-the-fact.

Post # 7
1690 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

I made an equally stupid mistake this week, maybe it’ll make you feel better. 

There was a concert that was going on sale on Tuesday, I knew it was going to sell out right away, so I was on the computer with my buying fingers ready to scoop up 4 tickets as soon as they went on sale. Well apparently in an idiot, because I accidentally pressed the button to buy tickets to a different concert!! I was so excited that I actually got 4 tickets that I didn’t even bother to stop and confirm they were correct, I just went and bought them. Tickets are not refundable. Shit, there goes $400… Or so I thought.

I told my dh and somehow he called the company and sweet talked them into reversing the charges and cancelling the order!! Phew!! I couldn’t not tell him, and honestly he always manages to find a way to solve our “crisis'” so I knew he was my only shot at fixing the mess I made.

Post # 8
275 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

Ive got another story for you to cheer you up!

I was traveling in the south US (Arkansas, Georgia, etc), and needed to buy a plane ticket from Atlanta GA to Tampa FL for a competition that was starting the next week. I decided to buy it online because it would be cheaper. I enlisted my FI to help me find the best deal (he’s a whiz), and he found a really great rate. I’m talking like $100 cheaper than everywhere else I could find!

I was so excited about what a deal I was getting that I bought the ticket right away, all giddy.

The day of my flight, and the day I HAD to be in Tampa, I show up at the airport bright and early to check in. I tell the clerk my name, show ID, blah blah blah.

She searches my name, and guess what? I had accidentally selected tickets for a flight NEXT WEEK (by which time I would have missed the competition that I was in). *head slap*

I am desperate to get to Tampa, so I ask if I can transfer the tickets to this flights (that I thought I was on), and she says sure. The transfer fee is like $390 because it was so last minute. 

I cried, that was the dumbest mistake I have ever made!! It was sooo embarrassing and awful at the time, but now its kinda funny. It would have been cheaper in the long run to just buy the damn ticket right when I got the the airport!! lol

My FI was super understanding, I hope that you can tell your DH about it. I bet that mistake happens all the time and the Bank might be able to help you. Its hard to remember your newly married name, plus all the places that have your old name! 

Post # 9
4825 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

Ok a) I assume if you call and explain you can get the charges reversed and b) you have to be able to tell your husband this. If you can’t tell him, you have far bigger problems than this accidental fee.

Post # 10
845 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2015

@crystlrox:  Just argue til the bank reverses the charge. I have done things like this (i.e. bounced cheques by accident, etc). I actually just called a campground and over a period of 5 months have been discussing with the manager how poorly me and my friends were treated by a ranger at the park. He’s refunding the fees for that weekend. Seriously like just keep trying. Also if you and your husband share finances i.e. have joint accounts, etc. I wouldn’t advise keeping it a secret.

Post # 12
1349 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2012

@crystlrox:  I’m hoping the bank will have some mercy on you!!!!!

Post # 13
7654 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2012

@crystlrox:  It’s an innocent mistake that you need to tell your husband about. If you can’t talk to him about this that’s bad. He should understand. He is allowed to be upset, but he should also be allowed to help make it right and support you. Besides, I would be more worried about him finding out later on down the road and thinking you lied about it.

We all make mistakes. It’s ok.

Post # 14
3570 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

That is a terrible feeling.  I hope the bank helps.  If I told my DH what happened, I think he would feel bad for me.  I hope your DH is being nice to you about it.  Mistakes happen.

Post # 16
11668 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

@crystlrox:  Ughhhh how frustrating! I hope they reverse the fees for you. Glad you’re husband didn’t totally flip out either!  Shit happens sometimes.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors