- 8 years ago
- Wedding: October 2010
Hi Bees – long-time lurker, first time posting. I’m hoping y’all can help put my mind to rest. My apolgies for the ridiculously long post, I’m just freaking out and could really use some help from other brides.
I live in MA, near Boston, and I’m having a backyard wedding in my hometown – Beaumont, TX. We’re having a small-ish (80 people), non-traditional shin-dig with a North/South theme. The ceremony itself will be about 6 minutes long – we’re telling people that we’re having a big party and somewhere in there we’ll get hitched. 😉
I just got back from the only trip I’ll be able to take there before the wedding. My “other-mom” (very close stepmother) is doing almost all the foot-work since I can’t be there, but she’s a bit nervous about making any decisions on her own, even though I’m totally comfortable with that.
My problem is this – It’s four months away and I feel like everything’s under control – that can’t possibly be normal, lol. I’m not a Bridezilla by any means – I’m pretty laid back actually. I’m just an obsessive planner and since I can’t be there, I won’t be able to deal with any last minute things. I’m seriously stressed (like, losing sleep) that I’m forgetting something. Here’s a quick (sort of … not really) run-down on everything – can someone tell me what I’m missing?
– Clothes: The dress is bought & being shipped to me – ETA August. Seamstress is chosen. Fittings will be rushed a little so it can be sent ahead to TX and cleaned/pressed there. No bridal party. His clothes are chosen, just haven’t bought them yet. Hair/makeup stylist is chosen and will make the appointment next month. Still looking for shoes and jewelry. Still need to buy his ring.
– Food: Caterer is hired (close friend of the family, LOTS of experience) and the menu is decided. Bartender is hired, and getting the alcohol from a friend who can get it at cost. Not having a cake, but found a baker to do the apple pie & peach cobbler.
– Party: Exact location on the property is decided, and we know where we’re getting the tent/chairs/tables/dance floor/etc. – will be be reserved next week. Tent will be up 2 days early to keep the grass dry in case it rains. Fireworks will be purchased when the shops open for the 4th of July – rules have been investigated (basically none, it’s Texas, LOL!). We found and have reserved the guy who’ll spray the grass for mosquitos & ants the day before.
– Decorations: Using the florist our family uses for everything. She has a pic of the bouquet I want. Plants and fruit for the rest. Centerpieces (“spilled” baskets w/apples & pecans) are decided, just have to buy the stuff.
– Music: DJ is a friend of the family and a pro, and has committed. First dance song is chosen, parents’ dances narrowed down to 3 choices, they just need to make the final decision. Short list of must-have songs for the party is written and we’re leaving it up to the DJ to handle the rest. Still agonizing over the down-the-aisle music – I’m leaning towards Elvis at this point. 😀
– Photography: Also a pro & friend. Have sent a few photos of other weddings to show the style we want, as well as the list of posed shots we want. Location decided for those as well. Getting cheesy disposables for the tables … don’t care how cliche it is, we love them! 😀
– Ceremony: Still have to write the ceremony/vows. Not having an officiant – a friend is a Justice of the Peace and will sign the certificate in the kitchen. 🙂 We’re doing custom chocolate bars for the favors and will order them a month out. Depending on how much money we have left over, i *really* want to have butterflies released instead of people throwing things, but if we can’t afford it, then we’re just doing birdseed in little bags.
– Night before: Still need to decide the venue for the small, immediate family dinner. We have a firm budget and 2 or 3 options that my parents will check out in the next couple of weeks. Venue for cocktail party for everyone later is booked.
– Invites: Save the Dates are out. Postcard reminders with website address (since 80% are traveling) have been purchased and will go out 12 weeks in advance. Invitations are being designed by the same friend who did the save-the-dates and will go out 6 weeks ahead. Website will be finished this week. I still need to get off my butt and register.
– Extras: A cousin is going to take care of paying people at the reception. Still need to book & pay for hotels/flights for bio-mom and sis. Future Mother-In-Law is throwing me a shower here next month. Having a girls’ night @ a friend’s house in TX two days before. He adamantly insists he doesn’t want a bachelor party. Gifts for parents & siblings are on the list. Gift for him is purchased.
– Honeymoon: Hotels in Cali are booked, flights & rental car are not yet. Still have to decide where to stay on the wedding night – we’re not leaving until the next day. Future Brother-In-Law is keeping the dog, and we’re stopping the mail. Already requested the time off from work and have been approved. Buying & writing thank-you cards there – ten a day by the pool is no big deal, right?
So … there has to be something else. There HAS to be. Help!