- 7 years ago
- Wedding: February 2011
I operate under the basic premise that this forum can answer basically any random question in life… let’s see if that theory is true!
I have a macbook, I just got a new external hard drive, and I’m having trouble setting up time machine to back up my old external hard drive. Here is the situation:
– I bought the computer and the first external hard drive at the same time (it is a WD passport, if that matters). At first I started just saving everything on my computer and using the external to run my time machine back-ups.
– Then I quickly ran out of room because I have too much digital photography, and decided to start putting my photographs on the external hard drive, since I had plenty of room there.
– For the past 2 years I’ve been keeping my entire photo library solely on the external hard drive, and not doing back ups because I didn’t have room. (Yes, I know I’m dumb for not buying another drive 2 years ago).
– I finally bought a new WD MyBook for Mac 1tb hard drive to use solely to back up my computer + passport hard drive with my photos.
– I was able to set up the MyBook with time machine easily and it backed up my computer with no problem, but it did not back up my external hard drive. I googled and figured out how to take the drive off of the “exclude” list.
– When time machine tried to run I got an error message that I was attempting to back up a case-sensitive drive and that time machine is case insensitive, so I could not do that.
Question: How do I make my WD Passport external hard drive case insensitive WITHOUT losing any of the data on the hard drive? Is that even possible?
I tried googling this but I’m not very good with computers at all and the explanations just confused me more. If anyone has an answer, I’d be very grateful!