I need help – $300 dress budget

posted 3 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
3280 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

Sample sales! They are awesome! I also couldn’t stomach spending much on a dress for one day. Here is my $400 Ella Rosa dress

Post # 5
9137 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 2013 - St. Augustine Beach, FL

@rosegoldie:  I ordered my dress from Dressilyme and even with custom sizing (so I don’t have to pay for alteraitons) and international shipping, it only cost me $161.

It looks just like the picture and it’s very well made with a fully boned and lined corset in the top.  I was very pleased to find something so nice within my budget.

Post # 9
8914 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2013 - Rocky Mountains USA

I got my dress online from Macy’s for $120.  We had a fairly decent overall budget but I was with you – can’t see spending an insane amount of money on one piece of clothing.  I loved it!  Here’s a pic below.

Try looking online at department stores (Nordstrom’s, Macy’s, JC Penney’s) and search for white / cream evening gowns.  Also, if you like a vintage art deco look, the designer Sue Wong is often having crazy sales on the site ideeli.com (gorgeous dresses for ~$200-300).  And of course used dresses are a good way to save!

Post # 11
4576 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

@rosegoldie:  My best advice is to give serious consideration to prom and pageant gowns: there are some made by the same companies as wedding dresses, and you will get a much better price.

My dress is Mori Lee prom dress and was only about $500.

I’d check out Unique Vintage’s site, too!

Post # 12
856 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

Mine was 300 🙂

Post # 13
167 posts
Blushing bee

I feel the exact same way! I got my dress on sale at David’s Bridal for $349. I couldn’t believe the price when I tried it on and fell in love. Here’s a stock photo of it:

I absolutely love my dress and am so happy I didn’t blow thousands of dollars on a dress I’ll only wear once. It just wasn’t in my budget. Spending on food and other things at the reception were just more important to FI and I. 

David’s Bridal does have some dresses priced at $300 and under that may be worth checking out (some are ordered online, some are available in stores). I also agree with PP’s suggestion to look at previously owned dresses or consider a shorter dress or formal gown that comes in white.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors