- 7 years ago
- Wedding: April 2011
This is more of a rant than anything, but I have nearly lost it because of my ridiculous FILs! It seems like everytime I finally think things are moving smoothly they seem to present me with another obstacle. Here are a few examples, so please tell me if my instanity is justified!
1. Two years ago my FI moved up North for work and I was left in our 3 bedroom home down south by myself. My FILs had the brilliant idea to send their 18 year old son (my FIs little brother) to live with me so that he could get out of the “bad” environment that he was living in. To make a long story short his troubles followed him to my home and he eventually left me with his rented room in ruins, a broken window, torn screen, and burn marks on the window seal. He also fell behind rent and owes us $1200 from that to date (still has not paid). He even threatened me once that I would wake up with a dead cat in my bed if I didn’t stop being such a “bitch.” I couldn’t handle it and kicked him out. THEY WERE PISSED. We were not on talking terms after this
2. Once we got engaged (last winter) we played around with the idea of a destination wedding. My parents were thrilled because most of our family is spread around the country so flights to a nice destination would be a bonus for people already having to travel. Everyone seemed to be on board. We got a phone call from his paren’t, however, that if we didn’t get married in the country (more speciafically his family lake front property in a tiny wilderness town) they weren’t coming. My dad being the one paying for the wedding was furious. To make another long story short it was a battle, but we finally got to choose the wedding we wanted.
3. Another barrier to my dream wedding…. Round 2 with the little brother. By this time I was already living up North with my FI in our new condo (way smaller than our old place!). FILs annouce that all will be forgiven and they will like me again if I let the little brother move in with us (now 19 and legal drinking age). His mother also makes a pleasant note at a family dinner (with a smile on her face I might add!) that if I do not agress once again they are not coming to the wedding! Despite my protests I was pressured by FI, FILs, and their other brother (who I am really good friends with) to allow this AGAIN. Needless to say after a few short months everyone realized what a big mistake this was and he left us once again with a trashed room and owing more than 2 months rent. GREAT!
4. So after this last blow out with the brother I get a phone call from my FMIL saying that I’m a horrible person and if I ever speak rudely or do anything to her baby son again (really? what the hell did he tell her??) she will be driving up here to personally deal with me. Her exact words, “You don’t want to mess with me little girl…and you can forget us coming to your wedding unless you start doing things our way..” SERIOUSLY!!
5. So now here we are 7 months out of the wedding and things have finally started to settle down. My FMIL sent me a care package with new towels (brown – the only color I HATE) as a peace offering and they were scheduled to come up and celebrate Thanksgiving at our house in just a few weeks. This is supposed to be the first time they meet my mother and she is flying up from down south. WELL NOW I AM REALLY GOING TO LOOSE IT. I just paid for a huge turkey and bought brand new place settings and have been fixing up the house so it looks presentable to our parents. They now annouce 2 days ago that they can’t make it. Apparently the people that board their dogs will be away on vacation and they cannot possiby trust anyone else with their precious German Shepards…so now THEY are holding the Thanksgiving dinner and I’ll have to tell my mom to cancel her flight because they’ve already spoken to all the boys (their three sons my FI included) and everyone has agreed that they will have family Thanksgiving as usual. I think this is a load of crap! We have a cat and an 8 month old dog and we don;t have anywhere to board them either. Here is the kicker: we’re not allowed to bring our puppy because it will disrupte their dogs routine. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??
So now here I am with a $75 dollar turkey with no one to eat it. No mom coming to visit who I haven’t seen in over 6 months, and no where to keep my dog if we do go down (5 hours away) to their place for Thanksgiving. Their solution: I can stay home with the dog and my FI can join the family for Thanksgiving.
I’m about to give up bees! I’ve tried everything and my horrid FMIL just will not stop with her little games. I know she’s done this on purpose. She can’t handle that one of “HER” boys has another women. This is mostly a rant!! Thank you all who have read this far. Any advice from those of you who have dealth with similar situations would be appreciated.