Post # 1
my ring is 14k white gold so it should be fine but i think i’m allergic to it! i have to take it off all the time..it’s not really an itching or green color, it’s more a dull sort of light pain, discomfort…almost like my finger has arthritis feeling. so wierd. i don’t know what to do, can’t tell my fiance because it would prb crush his feelings. help!
Post # 3
Is it a new 14K gold ring or an old one? Or from another country? The old rings used to have nickle which a lot of people have a sensitivity to. I don’t know how you find out if you are actually allergic but maybe talk to a doctor? If you are allergic just get a new setting there’s no sense in wearing something that will give you pain.
Is is possible its just a little tight and you are still getting used to it?
Post # 4
This happened to me, it turned out soap was getting stuck underneight it when I washed my hands and and causing it to get irritated. Try to not wear it for a few days until the rash goes away (I know its hard!!) and take it off when you wash your hands.
Post # 5
If you’re allergic to the metal I’ve heard you can paint the inside with clear nail polish, so then it won’t be touching your skin
Post # 6
- Wedding: March 2012 - Pelican Grand Beach Resort
It could be soap or lotion that is getting stuck under your ring.
Post # 7
is it too tight?
I’d definitely tell him – he wouldn’t want you to be in pain over it!
Post # 8
I would try painting the inside with clear nail polish for a few days and see if that helps. If it does, most likely you are allergic unfortunately. Maybe they could recoat your white gold with something non-nickel?
Post # 9
Maybe you can do dip it with yellow gold instead and see if it helps…. also wonder if the ring is too tight.
Post # 10
My mom is allergic to gold. Not any kind of plating, the actual gold. Even white gold, which I don’t quite understand. Her rings all have to be either sterling silver or platinum. It’s rare, but it happens.
Post # 11
It’s definetly not too tight, I have a decent amount of room. In fact I will say that the fact that it is always sliding around is a bit annoying. i’ll def try the nail polish thing, how do i remove the nail polish though? it’s a new ring for sure…we bought it at kay jewelers…you think I could exchange it?
Post # 12
We are past the 90 day return policy but we did get the protection plan/insurance whatever its called
Post # 13
My entire family is cursed with sensetive skin, my grandma has to wear gloves at the casino when shes playing the slots or her hands will break out, and I’ve been using the old clear nail polish trick since I started wearing jewelry. I even have to paint the little bit of the metal button that touches my stomach on the inside of my jeans or I get a horrible rash! I wouldn’t worry about how to get the nail polish off, you wont ever really need to since you can’t see it. If anything, you’ll be re-applying as it chips off, just like on your nails! Good luck, and I feel your pain =[
Post # 14
If you are not having a rash or itching then the nail polish trick wont work. Have you ever worn a ring on that finger? It could be that you have a nerve closer to the surface and the ring is bothering that nerve. That would give you a ache like arthritis feeling.
Post # 15
Have you ever worn rings before? I am only asking, because I’m curious if you’re just not used to wearing a ring? What’s the shank like? Sometimes certain designs are more uncomfortable than others.
It doesn’t sound like a nickel allergy.
Post # 16
It doesn’t sound like a nickel allergy – those usually lead to rashes.
If your ring’s so big it’s sliding around all the time, that might be part of the problem. You could be squeezing your fingers in a weird way to keep it in place. If so, maybe try sizing beads?
Another possibility is if your ring is very thick height-wise. I’ve had that feeling from wearing shared prong bands that go all the way to between my fingers. If you can’t smush your fingers together all the way when wearing your ring, that could be the problem. Can you post a pic of your ring?