(Closed) Ideas on How to o make Reception fun? (There’ll be No Dancing & No Alcohol)

posted 7 years ago in Reception
Post # 3
3098 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2009

Just curious – why no dancing? If there is a band, people will probably try to dance…maybe?

Post # 4
4765 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: January 2011 - Vintage Villas

I agree with Layla – if you have a live band, I’m sure at least some people will dance! 

Post # 5
4486 posts
Honey bee

No one should require alcohol to have a good time. Tons of people enjoy themselves all the time without it and it is not a required element for a wedding, despite what many believe. Again, this may be skipped due to personal preference, religious restrictions, or they don’t want to tempt any recovering alcoholics in attendance. Another reason alcohol may not be involved is if the bride and/or groom and their guests are underage.

No dancing is really not that strange and alot more common than you might think. Many people just aren’t into dancing which is perfectly ok, and others don’t dance due to religious beliefs, despite the fact that the Bible clearly states that dancing is praised by God. If someone doesn’t want it, they should not be forced to by anyone, stranger or family.

That said, if there is no dancing (alcohol does not enter this equation), guests generally mingle and are more than happy for a chance to do so. Most folks will not miss other entertainment if it is not there, nor do they seek it out if dancing is skipped.

However, since you are having a live band, guests may surprise you and get up to dance even if you and your fiance do not participate.

Just provide yummy refreshments, have enough seating for each person invited, and have a blast. If you are enjoying yourselves, your guests will too.

Post # 6
2867 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

I’m assuming your venue doesn’t allow dancing. I think that having other activities could help but if you’re having mostly family and close friends I’ll imagine you’ll be visiting with all of them.

Do you have any sort of outdoors area? Our wedding will be similar (but it’s in the afternoon and it’s not very long so I’m not worried about people being bored) – but we have a lawn that I’m thinking about setting up a croquet game on because my family loves the game (plus I think it could make for some interesting pictures).

Post # 7
1518 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

We are having a table with anniversary cards on it. Ones for different years like 5, 10, 20, 50. And people can sign them and we will open them on the respective anniversary. This gives people another thing to do if they want. And when you say a decorated area for photos, do you mean a photo booth or pictures that are on display? Photo booths are always fun! I also made trivia cards for the tables.. half have generic wedding trivia and the other half have questions about me and my FI.

Here are some other random ideas: You could also have an old fashioned lemonade stand with different types of lemonade..?? Slideshow of pictures set up in the background for people to watch if they want. The Bride and Groom Barbie game is funny (we are doing it at our rehearsal dinner though- might be a little too informal), play a song people can dance to and have all the married couples dancing and slowly eliminate by saying “Longer than 5 years” “Longer than 15 years” etc until you have the couple who has been married the longest and give them the bouquet or a centerpiece as a gift. 

Post # 9
4486 posts
Honey bee

An MC is not required. Guests are intelligent in most cases and will be able to figure out what is going on from one moment to the next without announcements for each little thing.

Post # 10
5658 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2011

We’re having a brunch reception with a song list for background music, and no alcohol either. So I too have had to come up with a few different options. I’ve gone with a couple different diy options.

1. I found a really great idea for an “interactive” type guestbook by @canaanandamanda so we’re gonna make those available with 4pks of crayons for the guests

2. There was also an “I Spy” by @HisPookie that I thought would be alot of fun also.

I don’t know what kind of reception you’re going for: formal vs. semi/informal but we’re doing a more casual fun vintage “all you need is love” thame so these things really fit for us.

Hope this helps, or gives you some inspiration! =)

Post # 11
3098 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2009

I think games like croquet and bocce ball would be great since it’s outdoors, if you have the room and grass!

Post # 12
654 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

We’re having an outdoor reception, no music, alcohol, or dancing. We’ll be setting up horseshoes, boccee ball, and maybe croquet. We’re giving the kids bubbles and small squirt guns to entertain themselves and even some adults with. There’s also some good ideas found on this thread http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/help-please-i-need-ideas-for-activites-at-a-no-dancing-reception-please I really like the photo scavenger hunt idea but I know my family well enough to know we’ll probably never see most of the pictures taken lol

Post # 13
20 posts
Newbee

I think an MC is a great idea — somebody to move things along or even introduce new ideas if things get “boring” as you fear.

The last wedding I went 2 with no drinking/no dancing — they made sure the reception was 1) not too long so time went by quickly.  2) the MC was EXCELLENT, he was funny made jokes, knew the couple enough to tell stories & had a program idea. . .

— One idea he had that went over really well is to give prizes to (1) Oldest couple, (2) Couple been married the longest (4) Newest couple other than bride&groom.  . . and folks loved getting gifts @ a wedding. .  . Small tokens but nice.

Also he told hillarious stories about the couple that we knew or didn’t know but it was funny and kept us laughing.

Toasts were not too long — and food was good — it worked out!

Post # 14
209 posts
Helper bee

angie123- I’m the same way! I’m spanish so I love dancing, but my FH comes from a very conservative background that makes them all kind of shy about dancing in public. I still want our first dance, and kind of want to leave the floor available to who wants it, because I think it might be awkward for us to dance and then just end it there. At the same time, I’m going to have a lot of outdoor games going to keep all people involved- might even have some dominoes and cards avaiable to those that want to grab a table and play a game. My debate is whether I should or shouldnt open a dance floor for the crows that would be interested in dancing…or if I should leave it be to avoid an awkwardness…

The topic ‘Ideas on How to o make Reception fun? (There’ll be No Dancing & No Alcohol)’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors