(Closed) If I hear one more person tell me what they would do with $25,000…

posted 6 years ago in Proposals
Post # 3
873 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

We got the “you should buy a house” thing ALL THE TIME during my engagement.  Hello, I owned a house, he owned a house, the LAST thing we needed was ANOTHER HOUSE!

By the way – married people said that kind of stuff to us as well.

Post # 4
1414 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Yeah….I hear you.

There is always somebody that just HAS to tell me their point of view.

I just nod…and smile.

Post # 5
3182 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Nothing irritates me more than when people start making assumptions like that.  It’s your wedding, people only have to decide if they are coming or not (assuming they are invited).  Everything else is not for them to worry about!  

Post # 6
751 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

I was so pissed when FI told his friend (now ex friend) that he was planning on asking me to marry him all his friend said was ‘don’t waste all your money on the wedding’. First off, no congrats, secondly I don’t find having a nice wedding to be ‘wasting money’. He told FI to spend money on the honeymoon, not the wedding. And he’s married!

Post # 7
10367 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

If we lived in a part of the country where $25000 could even startto get you into a house, perhaps we would have heard that. But with down payments starting at $100,000 for a 2-bedroom fixer-upper, I say have the damn party! 😉

Post # 8
10367 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

@ShutterbugCait:  I’m married, too (had a beautiful pretty fancy wedding) and I, too, agree to spend more money on the honeymoon. That’s one thing i’d change if I went back!

Post # 9
217 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2013

Completely understand, my mom gasps everytime I tell her the cost of something, or that the average wedding is upwards of 20,000.  She is a fan of small, low cost, quick weddings…so I think this is where that is coming from.  Oh well, if you can afford it, make yourself happy, and don’t let anyone else tell you what they would do with your money. 

Post # 10
2239 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

I hear you!!  It’s so annoying.  Yes, I’m planning a wedding and no what we spend on it is NOT YOUR BUSINESS.  Sheesh people.  It’s like people’s common decency gets chucked out the window lol.  I dunno why weddings make people so nosey.  It’s nobody’s business but yours, your fiances, and y’all’s parents/whoever is contributing to the budget.  So annoying  

Post # 11
1701 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I was about the last person to get married so I got that from a lot of married people (hmmmm…I remember your wedding and you didn’t think it was a waste of money then…) sorry if yours wedding sucked but mine was great!

We also owned 2 houses. If we could have sold one, I would have blown even more money

When someone on here asks if it was worth it, it definitely was! They should go over budget, it was so worth it:)

Post # 12
914 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

Tell them “that’s nice, but I don’t tell you how to spend your money.”

Post # 13
8473 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2012

Yeah I got so tired of hearing people say to put it towards a house.. It’s like um hello what girl doesn’t want a wedding!?

Post # 14
751 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

@crayfish:  I want a nice honeymoon and we will have one but I want my dream wedding too. I just found it rude it was the only thing he said to FI regarding getting married. Their entire wedding cost about $500 and they had a Honeymoon Fund registry so I guess they had different priorities. We go on vacations often, we don’t get married often.

Post # 15
Hostess
11174 posts
Sugar Beekeeper

Preach it! People in real life don’t have any idea how much we spent on our wedding but even with their estimates they always give us a hard time.

I see it this way…you spend your money how you want and I’ll do the same. I wanted a big lavish wedding and I got one and YOU didn’t have to contribrute one cent. Isn’t that awesome?

*sigh*

The topic ‘If I hear one more person tell me what they would do with $25,000…’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors