I'm actually having my dream wedding for about $5000

posted 3 years ago in Money
Post # 3
4043 posts
Honey bee

@futuremrswood25:  Great start! Just don’t get too overwhelmed! Not saying it in a bad or discouraging way, but just be realistic with how much you can DIY and will still allow you to enjoy the process.

I started with a $7500 budget and my plan was to DIY flowers, hang our lantern lights at the venue, create centerpieces, design and print invites, make signage, write the entire ceremony for our officiant (my aunt), etc. 

I was able to do the majority of the things listed above, but once my life expecations increased (i.e., job demands), I quickly began to feel overwhelmed. Fortunately, we were able to bump up our budget by $1500 (to $9,000 total) and have a professional do our lighting ($1000) and have a florist do beautiful bouquets/arrangements ($300) and add a few other fun things.

Yes, we went over our original budget, but the peace of mind and ability to relax a little before the wedding (which is two weeks away) is completely worth it. 

I wish you luck in your endeavors and hope you stay on budget and on top of all your tasks!

Post # 5
2878 posts
Sugar bee

My question is how can you afford to pay food for everybody ? That just blows my mind. I’m hoping to have a DIY wedding, vintage inspired and just very intimate, cozy and friendly. But everywhere we look, there are not reception sites that allows us to have a caterer, so we have to use their menu which is often 70-80/person. This is more than half our budget (it’s about 4500 on a budget of 5000 for 55 aduts). Considering that legal wedding paperworks alone will cost us close to 500 $, that means I can not pay for anything else. I’m done !

In Québec a lot of couples actually ask their guests to pay their meals. It is very controversial outside of Québec, but here I’ve rarely heard of parents actually paying for their children’s weddings (unless they do have a lot of money which isn’t the case in my family or FI’s family). So this is how young couples have found a way of having a small wedding reception with close family, but without having tons of debts afterwards. So I’m really questoning myself, because I don’t know if I should do this too, or if I should stick to paying everything. If I do pay everything like proper etiquette says, that means with my tiny student budget, I’ll end up over 5000 $ in debts. Great way to start in life … ! 

But my dream wedding is so simple, in my head : all I want is to have a nice dinner with people I love, play poker in the evening listening to AC/DC and ZZtop (on Ipod playlist, we won’t have a DJ), and have beautiful pictures of me and my husband as a souvenir (this is the other only thing we are ready to invest more in). How can I get all that for under 5000, when only food is blowing out or budget. Suggestions, ideas ? Budget brides, how could you afford food ?

Post # 6
873 posts
Busy bee

I am only spending just over 3000 on the whole wedding/reception and I am quite happy with what we are creating!

Post # 7
75 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

@futuremrswood25:  You are awesome!  We did our for $5200.  85 guests.  We had Barbecue for our meal and it was awesome- catering was only $850.  My wedding was very pinterest inspired as well!  I can’t wait to see pics of your special day!!!

Post # 8
663 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2014 - Jacksonville Inn

We are planning an intimate wedding for 40 people with a budget of $7500. $3000 of that will be food and drinks. We have made that a priority, we want everyone to have a delicious dinner. But, we are budgeting in other areas. I’m doing all the flowers myself, we are DIYing invitations, STD’s decor, etc. My dress budget is under $1000 and we are postponing our honeymoon. We could never afford our caterer if we were having a large wedding, so that is our compromise.

Post # 9
1107 posts
Bumble bee

Congrats, OP! I know how great it feels. We had our most perfect wedding for about $4800. Wouldn’t trade it for anything…everything was so perfect and people commented on what a beautiful wedding it was. 🙂 Good luck!

Post # 10
606 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

That is about our budget maybe a little more.

Post # 11
Hostess
4941 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

@futuremrswood25:  Congrats honey! It’s such an amazing feeling knowing that you can have your dream day without spending a fortune! My hubby and I eloped and we spent less than 1k even with a few days in a gorgeous hotel.

I cannot WAIT to see all of your plans and your stunning wedding!

Post # 12
1464 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

Congrats. Our budget dropped from 8K to 3.5K, due to some health issues, but we are totally getting it done!

Post # 13
7531 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

Yay for Wonderful $5K weddings!  My daughter’s was, and 4 years later, she still says that she wouldn’t have changed a thing! 😉  It CAN be done!

Post # 14
5087 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2014

Have faith OP, it can be done. I’ve heard of many brides of on the bee with similar budgets to yours have fantastic weddings. Best wishes with everything. 

Post # 17
56 posts
Worker bee

That’s encouraging!  That is our goal budget as well, but I’m not sure if we can do that with 150-200 guests!  I am trying to find places that allow you to self-cater or at least have outside catering that is cheaper, along with doing a lot of DIY.. invitations, centerpieces, possibly bouquets, centerpieces, flowers for flower girl, aisle runner possibly, etc.  I have experience with Photoshop and have made photo invitations and thank you cards for Etsy so I don’t think I will be stressed about that, but I’m not sure about everything else.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors