I'm Engaged!!! Now what….Any Aug 31 2014 Brides??

posted 3 years ago in August 2014
Post # 3
45 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: December 2014

FIRST thing, figure out your budget.  Next thing, figure out about how many people you want to invite, just a ball park estimate… if you know yall both have big families then you’re going to need a venue that accomodates a larger wedding. you would hate to find the venue of your dreams and find out it is at capacity at 100 people, when you know you want to invite 200… so either you have to scratch half of your guest list off, or you’ll have to walk away from your dream venue. After that, start looking for a venue… you can’t book anything else until you have a date hammered down, and a place to have the wedding.  

when looking for a venue, keep in mind things that are important to you.  like do you want to pick out your own caterer, would you rather it be all in house.  if it’s in house, how do they serve?  buffet, sit down, or both.  do you want to bring your own alcohol – or is that not a priority (you can save A LOT of money by being able to bring your own BTW), do you want to have the whole day rented out, or are you okay with there being a wedding in the morning and you having one in the evening, or vice versa, DO THEY ALLOW CANDLES (this was my biggest – if you didn’t allow candles we did not need to talk!!!), etc etc etc

After that, start booking vendors that are most important.  I have been told a million times that you shouldn’t be cheap with your photographer or your DJ.  the only thing you’ll have when the day is over is pictures, and the only thing that can make a party happen is a DJ, so my advice would be to start there.

I would also start looking for a wedding gown, it can take 6 months to get some, and then you have to have alterations and time for a couple fittings and stuff.  

I would say put the petal to the metal, and dive head first into planning.  OH!  and go to bridal shows!! It’s so much fun!! this is usually the time of season for wedding shows (january, february) I guess because this is engagement season.  you can win things at these bridal shows, talk to vendors, get ideas, EAT CAKE, so much fun!!

As for it being a popular date and more expensive, I doubt that.  i read a million times when i was doing my research for my wedding, that places have discounts for off-season times, and i really never found that.  i just found that if you wanted a popular time you needed to move fast, because it’ll be booked up the farthest in advance.  

good luck!! happy planning!! message me if you need any help. sorry this is so long!!

Post # 4
6964 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2015

@purplehearts:  +1 to the above. 

We have a tentative date for Oct 2014, but after looking at how much we’ve saved and how much we can save we’re thinking maybe Spring 2015. We wrote out when we’d have to pay out the big chunks of money (deposit for venue, balance for venue, food, clothes, rings, etc…) to help determine instead of just “Oh… we’ll totally have all the money by the wedding day” because that’s not how it works. 

Then get a venue. Things book up!! Most people say you should have a venue a year out, but  that’s not necessary….. but you should get on it ASAP. 

Post # 5
271 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

I’m getting married a week before you. What I will suggest is start looking at venues and getting a price point for the amount of people you want to be there. Also start looking through your friends. Is anyone a great photographer? Or someone super crafty that you can use their help making a guest book or favors? Also Congratulations!!!!!!

Post # 7
1197 posts
Bumble bee

congrats!! I’m getting married Aug 30th, yay for Aug 2014 brides!  like PP said, figure out your budget and number of guests, and start looking for a venue ASAP.  I don’t think it’ll be more expensive because of Labor Day – you may get discounts since your wedding is on a Sunday. good luck!!

Post # 10
1021 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

@purplehearts:  Find a venue and THEN make sure you can keep the date.  Having a venue is more important than picking a date.  My venue picked my date for me. 

Post # 11
965 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2014

@purplehearts:  Date Twin! We are getting 10% off everything from our venue for being a Sunday wedding. Also, because of the holiday, everyone has Monday off, so people don’t have to rush home after dinner!

Post # 12
679 posts
Busy bee

@purplehearts:  Woo hoo, another Labor Day weekend bride! We finally have our date for Thursday, yes Thursday, August 28th, 2014. We are getting married over in Turkey, so it’s not a holiday weekend there, but that long weekend was important for us to leave time for traveling back to the US. The weather was also a big factor for us- I’m glad I won’t be a sweltering mid-summer bride 🙂

My only other suggestion besides what the PPs have said above is to get the word out pretty soon after you have confirmed your venue. Labor Day isn’t a huge holiday for people to travel and see family (like Christmas or something like that), but you want people to have your wedding in mind when they make their plans. Good luck!

Post # 13
21 posts
Newbee

Aug 31st for us too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post # 14
7090 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

We also got married Labor Day weekend and I would secure a venue and send out STDs right away, personally. We didn’t have any different pricing due to the holiday, but if you have a lot of people flying in I’m not sure if airline prices are affected.

Post # 15
88 posts
Worker bee

Ours is August 31, 2014 as well! Yay for August Brides!

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors