- 5 years ago
- Wedding: August 2007
My name is Prithika Tully and I’m a freelance writer. I’m working on a series of articles around Indians in inter-cultural marriages.
I am an Indian married to a Scottish man and we had incredible fun at our wedding. My husband did the mehendi for my aunts and grandmothers, we danced a ceilidh (traditional Scottish dance) and men on both sides tried to drink each other under the table (the bride was the last man stading ).
I’m looking for couples, especially where the other partner also has distinct traditions, who would be willing to share their story of holding a fusion wedding.
If you are interested in participating, all you have to do is answer the questions below and tell your story.
- Introductions- Where are you and your partner from, and how did you both meet? When did you get married?
- Were there any aspects of each other’s traditions which came as a surprise when planning the wedding?
- What were the (cultural) challenges you faced?
- What was your favourite part of the wedding?
- How did your families feel?
- What advice do you have for other couples planning their fusion wedding?
- Would you like to add anything else?
I will only use first names in the article. I welcome any pictures from the wedding which you would like to share.
The article is intended for publication in a NRI (Indians living abroad) magazine in the United States, and I will inform all participants if it goes to print.
Thank you in advance for sharing your stories. It’s an honour.