Post # 1
I’m marrying into the Navy and my FI is on the other side of the country. I know he can be here for the wedding (day after Thanksgiving) but I’m not sure he can be here to get the marriage license the Wednesday before. We can’t get married without a license.
So… my dilemma: Do I take a leap of faith and send out invitations with our preferred date (November 26) and pray it all works out? Or, can I put on the invitation (or a separate card insert) that the wedding date is dependent on the Navy giving my FI leave?
I know this is not an ideal situation to be in which is why I’m asking for advice. Any military brides that have gone through this kind of thing that can give me advice would be most helpful.
Post # 3
hrmmm… can you call your county office and ask if there is some kind of form you can mail him in advance to sign and send back… im sure they have encountered this before and will be able to help you somehow 🙂
Post # 4
Ya i would talk to them ask .. maybe they have a special way of doing it since he is in the navy. I would still plan on having it because you can still have the ceremony and get the license the next week. I know that isn’t ideal but if you know he will be there for the ceremony i would take advantage of that. Sometimes you just have to work with things. We weren’t sure if my husband would make it back in time to get the license either.. he is in school and had a test… he flew in the thursday night before the ceremony at midnight. Had there been delays with the flights we wouldn’t have gotten the license. We teased that we would be signing a napkin if that happened lol
Post # 5
I’ve gone down to the county office and they said that there’s nothing they can do for me. We both have to be there in order to get the license. They won’t even send the paperwork to his base and let the JAG witness it. =/ As for getting the license afterwards, I can’t find any pastor that will perform the ceremony without a license. I’ve told my situation and they said that we must have a licence. We can’t just get it later. Doesn’t make sense to me, my FI or either set of parents, but that’s apparently the way things are.
I’m frustrated because I don’t want to waste my invitation budget on invitations that might not be accurate but if I don’t send any out, I might not have any guests…