(Closed) Invite list at 251, venue holds 220 – is this a problem?

posted 7 years ago in Venue
Post # 3
602 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

What a lot of people do (us included) is narrow your guest list down to what your venue will hold (the A list) and then when people say they can’t come, invite more people (from the B list). It would be a disaster if you invited 250 when you can only have 220 and all 250 (or even 240 or 230) attend.

Post # 4
3049 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: January 1991

What I’ve been told is that 50% of the guest list doesn’t show up. I don’t trust that statistic, so I’m only inviting 50 more people than my venue can hold. I think the 251 is fine for now, because it’s very possible that 31 people won’t show up. But you know your guest list better than I. I definitely would not add anymore though!

Post # 5
1920 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

I think 50% is pretty low turnout. I’ve heard more like 75% But I definitely wouldn’t invite more than capacity. What if everyone shows up? In this situation you should definitely either have an A and B  list or just cut your list down.

Post # 6
381 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

Our venue can hold 330 comfortably but we hope to have closer to around 300. We’re inviting 350. Plan around 80-85% being able to attend (at least that’s what we’re hoping for). I guess it also depends on how many of your guests will be from out of town because that will cut your numbers down too.

Post # 7
1398 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

I actually think you will be good as they say that normally 85 percent is about the number that shows up. That should put you just under where you need to be in the end.

Post # 8
646 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I’d probably cut the list down to the venue maximum. And still hope that some don’t show. A lot of times, the maximum is VERY VERY tight. No room to move around, people have to get up from their table so the area can become a dance floor, etc.

I’ve heard to plan on 10-20% not being able to make it.

The topic ‘Invite list at 251, venue holds 220 – is this a problem?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors