(Closed) inviting co-workers & bosses…

posted 6 years ago in Etiquette
  • poll: Do I need to invite my direct supervisor if I'm inviting another supervisor?
    Yes : (15 votes)
    54 %
    No : (13 votes)
    46 %
  • Post # 3
    1352 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: April 2012

Ugh I think you have to 🙁 just bc that would be SUPER awkward if she knows the other one was invited. Maybe she would know you’re just trying to be nice and just say no.

Post # 5
    1087 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: December 2012

I would say that if you are going to invite one, then you may have to invite both. I agree with Pom.

Post # 6
    107 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

I’m in the exact same boat as you, but I have made the firm decision to not invite my direct supervisor. I’ve invited everyone else in my department, because they’re good, kind and genuine people. If we weren’t working together, I’d still want them at my wedding.

As I see it, there’s no requirement to invite your boss. I’m sure you feel a little bit guilty because it seems rude and insensitive (I know I feel that way), but you’re not obligated. You’re inviting friends and family – Supervisor A doesn’t fall into either category.

Post # 7
    3264 posts
    Sugar bee

I would not invite someone I didn’t like to my wedding.  If you dislike your boss and keep a strictly professional relationship with you, it is doubtful that they love you either.  So I doubt they are clamouring to go to your wedding. 

Speaking as a supervisor, I often feel obligated to attend weddings of my subs.  Not because I really want to, but out of obligation.  I frequently respond no, unless there is an actual relationship with the worker.

Etiquette also does not rule on this issue.  Only that you don’t bring up events in front of people who are not invited.  It sounds like you don’t really speak with this person much.  So you don’t have to invite them.

Post # 8
    2699 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: June 2012

Agreed. She may guess she’s only invited out of politesse anyway.

The topic ‘inviting co-workers & bosses…’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors