Is $100 too much to expect a party goer to pay for a bachelorette party?

posted 3 years ago in Parties
  • poll: Is $100 too much to expect a party goer to pay for a bachelorette party?
    Way too much! : (31 votes)
    24 %'s a lot, but not totally unreasonable : (36 votes)
    28 %
    Not at all...that's standard. : (58 votes)
    46 %
    Obligatory 'other' response -- explain below : (2 votes)
    2 %
  • Post # 3
    2546 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: April 2013

I think it is, because you’re asking them to pay it to honor someone else. I think unless it’s a trip with flights/accomodations involved, each person should have control over how much he/she spends (do I want to order alcohol? just one drink? beer? soda? take a taxi? drive? get a sandwich? a main course?)

Post # 4
    640 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: April 2014

What’s the actual plan? I wouldn’t balk at spending that much, since I know I’ve spent that, or more, for close friends before. As a bridesmaid, I would try to budget for it. Granted, if someone asked me to be their bridesmiad and go to the party next month, I would turn them down, b/c it’s not in my budget RIGHT NOW. Just b/c some girls could afford it, doesn’t mean everyone can.

Post # 5
    478 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2013

I definitely think it depends what it is. I do think that as the price goes up, expectations of attendance have to go down. If someone says they cannot afford the time or money that should be acceptable.

Post # 6
    857 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: June 2012

It will vary a LOT depending on the girls’ circumstances – age, savings, occupation, priorities, obligations… You’d have to ask them.

Post # 7
    1248 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: April 2014

@Skittles131:  Does it include all food and drink for the day or are they likely to have to shell out for more drinks later in the night? I’m not a big drinker so I wouldn’t be thrilled at having to pay $100 if the bulk of it was going towards other peoples drinks, depends what the other activities and food included in the price was?

Post # 8
    1715 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2015

For a good friend, I would be fine (not excited, yet not upset) about forking out $100 for her bachelorette party.  I just spent $50 on a good friend’s birthday so to double that for something like this wouldn’t bother me.  And this coming from a college student who is very strapped for cash right now.  But I’ll just say this, it better be a darn good party 🙂

Post # 9
    9092 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2010

It would depend what that included, but I don’t think that sounds unreasonable.

Oh, I just saw the food/transportation/alcohol.  I wouldn’t be stoked to contribute to other people’s drinking at the moment since I’m pregnant, and can’t partake… and what are you transporting to?  If it’s something that requires an additional fee, it’s probably pushing my limits depending on what that is – like pedicures, or poledance classes or something.

Post # 10
    624 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: January 2015

Honestly I think it is a bit much. I would probably do it for a very dear friend or a close relative.

Post # 11
    1060 posts
    Bumble bee

It honestly depends on what the people can afford. 

My bridesmaids planned my bachelorette behind my back and they paid for a 5 day, 4 night trip to Bermuda. 

They paid for everything. Flight, food (except the one meal they let me treat), the 3 bedroom suite with 3 bathrooms and a kitchen, and cab fare everywhere. 

I suspect that it was more than $1000, each girl, since they were also paying my share. I have very amazing and lovely bridesmaids. Which is why I am paying for their hair and make up and renting their dresses.

It really, really depends on age, how much they make, and savings.

Post # 12
    657 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: November 2013

@Skittles131:  When I went to a bachelorette party I came prepared to spend at least $100. The bride refused to let us pay for part of the room (keep in mind it was 5 girls 2 beds) so instead we bought her drinks all night. 

FI and I are planning on traveling to NOLA with about 3 friends each and splitting up when we get there. Obviously everyone will be spending about $100 each but we asked their opinons and they were all for it. If you told your girls where you were going and what you guys are doing and they were down for it then I wouldn’t worry too much.

Post # 13
    46 posts
    • Wedding: June 2014

Totally depends on where you live and what you’re doing. For example, I live in DC–a not huge but pretty expensive city–and wouldn’t be upset at spending that much for a close friend. Honestly if you can, I would run it by the potential invitees and be prepared with a backup plan in case it doesn’t work. 

Post # 14
    2818 posts
    Sugar bee

I know this has been said before, but it REEEALLY depends on what all is going down. And whether I have spend anything additional. If I could hand over a $100 and not have to worry about driving or opening my wallet again for the rest of the day (I’m thinking at least 2 meals, here). I’d also hope that it would be super fun and I get something out of the deal (a manicure or something?) I’ve been to these “bachelorette” outings that basically involve just paying for the bride’s food, drinks and club covers all night and riding in a crowded limo. That’s not an experience worth $100, IMO.

Post # 15
    789 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

I told my MOH and BFF who are planning the bachelorette to keep it affordable for everyone and that is the general number that they decided on. I think it depends on the city, it would be difficult to have a big night out in NYC with dinner and drinks, especially with a bunch of people, for less than $100 so I would be totally comfortable with that. I would start to be a little concerned if it gets closer to $200. 

My FI’s Best Woman went to a bachelorette last week where dinner alone was $175 per person.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors