(Closed) Is $1000 for a 1 hr Trash the Dress photo session unreasonable? Torn…

posted 5 years ago in Photos/Videos
Post # 3
808 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

How many photos do you get???

Post # 4
1115 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

I think that’s insane.

Post # 5
1068 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

Seems insane to me. I live in NYC and engagement photos are around $400, why would trash the dress be so much more??

Post # 6
63 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

That is an outrageous amount!  You can find a much better price with very good photographer at half the price.  My max for bridal, engagement, or TTD, which usually takes 1 hr, is $500.  Most photographers charge 300-400.  The max I’ve seen is $600.  

Post # 7
1042 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

I think it’s reasonable only if it includes all the proofs, your rights to use the high res digital images, and an album.  Then you’re splitting the labor with the actual products you’ll be getting.

Post # 9
1629 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

That’s insane.  Is the photographer Annie Leibovitz or something??

Post # 10
111 posts
Blushing bee

It seems VERY expensive :

Post # 13
5668 posts
Bee Keeper

I agree with PPs, that seems like quite a bit higher than it should be.

Post # 14
1314 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2006

While I wouldn’t personally charge that much for a trash the dress session for a local client, the responses to this post are treating art like a commodity.  It’s not.  It’s art.  If there is a demand for this photographer’s talents where they are booking sessions at that rate it must be a pretty fantastic experience.  Someone is valuing their art enough to warrant their rates.  More power to them.  If the OP loves their work enough to hire them for the session, more power to her!  To me the only insane thing is we’ve grouped all photographers together as if we were all of the same caliber.  I know I couldn’t personally afford myself, but that doesn’t mean I’m not worth it.  If you can’t afford it, or you don’t value it enough to pay the price that’s absolutely fine.  But don’t condemn the artist for having achieved enough success to charge the rate.

Post # 15
63 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

@continuumphotography:  I don’t think anyone is trying to condemn the artist.  Photography is an art that take lots of skills to build up over the years.  The price we pay includes the years of experiences, the long hours it take to edit the photos long after the wedding is over, the expensive equipments, and the seasonal nature of the work.  I get that not all photographers are the same.  If it were, I wouldn’t willing to pay more for a particular photographer over the less expensive ones.  All weddings have a max budget.  In this economy, it is even tougher to have the wedding that you want.  With limited professional photography judgment, I, and perhaps a lot of bees here, can only based on what I feel is the “right” going rate to fit our budget.  To me, it doesn’t do me any good to have a great photographer if I have to sacrified hair and makeup, flowers, decors, and venues.  

Post # 16
1314 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2006

@Shoppe:  I’m not at all disagreeing with you, you can afford what you can afford.  I just don’t think it’s fair to say that what this photographer is charging is “insane” as a couple people have put it.  Pricing is based on demand.  I probably should think of better analogies than the car one, but for instance I can’t afford a Ferrari, nor would I spend that sort of money on one if I had that sort of money to spend.  BUT – I know Ferraris are exceptionally engineered, and I don’t think what they cost is insane.  Now if a car dealership was selling Hondas priced the same as Ferraris that would be insane, and that dealership wouldn’t be selling any Hondas.  Of course I haven’t seen this photographers work, so it’s kind of hard to say what’s crazy and what’s not.  But my benefit of the doubt to them is that they are priced the way they are because someone is paying their rates for a reason.

The topic ‘Is $1000 for a 1 hr Trash the Dress photo session unreasonable? Torn…’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors