Is $1,150 too much to spend on a colorless diamond?

posted 3 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
74 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: December 2014

That sounds like a great deal if the stone has great clarity, cut & color! Find out more details & if those specs are good too then I say go for it!

Post # 5
5445 posts
Bee Keeper

Totally depends on cut, clarity, and carat (and of course legit lab grading).

Post # 7
9226 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: May 2018

Sounds like a good deal but I would still get an authentication certificate just to be sure.

Post # 8
10219 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

@avamacbeth:  As the other Bees have said… COLOUR is just one of the factors that determine the QUALITY of a Diamond.

CUT – CLARITY – and CERTIFICATION are the other elments that are important.

Certification is the paperwork that says that the Diamond has been evaluated against a set list of standards… done by a Registered Gemologist.

So it is quite different than just a Jewellers word / experience.

None the less, you’ll want to have the final ring APPRAISED so that you know exactly the stats and what you own for Insurance purposes.

— — —

As for size…

When the Jeweller said a Half-Carat he could very well speaking of the range.

Diamonds are measured in fractions / decimals / and points

So altho most people know that a 1/2 Carat = 0.50 = or 50 Points

It also covers a range of Diamonds between 0.45 and 0.58 (hence WHY it could visually look closer to a 0.60 Diamond)

— — —

As for ballparking the price… as I say you need to know the rest of the stats…

But a Quick Look at Blue Nile and Diamonds in the 1/2 Carat Range that are COLOURLESS (D) pulled up 3,918 results for Diamonds of all shapes…

The lowest price being a

Emerald Diamond = 0.50 Carat – Good Cut – D Colour – SI-2 Clarity – for $ 683 US

Up to the highest price being a

Round Diamond = 0.54 Carat – Ideal Cut – D Colour – IF Clarity – for $ 4,822 US

And this is of course just the pricing for the Diamond itself.

So as you can see… there is a lot of latitude here in price… when we don’t know anything more than the COLOUR and CARAT Size

Hard to say therefore whether you got a Good Deal or not.

Hope this helps (some),

Post # 10
5445 posts
Bee Keeper

@avamacbeth:  yes. There’s a saying in jewelry: “you get what you pay for, or less.” Don’t take anybody’s word for it when you’re talking about a xxxx purchase. Get independent grading information always. 

Post # 11
852 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

I dont know any of the specs for mine, neither does my Husband. We chose a stone we loved the look of which was at a price we could afford. If you love the stone, and the setting and you can afford it do you have to check. Your not going to sell it on, your going to wear it forever, if you love it then its value in monetry terms is irrelivant. But that is just my rather cavalier opinion Laughing

Post # 12
10219 posts
Sugar Beekeeper

To @avamacbeth: Message me if you like…

BUT you’ll probably do even better if you just post on the boards… I may be a Jewellery Lover… but there are regulars that post on this the Ring Board who know far far more than I do (@BlondeMissMolly:  for one)

My knowledge, is pretty much what I gleaned off of websites like Blue Nile and their Diamond Eduction Page … and hanging out on the Ring Board for over a year

Blue Nile – Diamond Education = http://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamonds/diamond-education?track=NavEduMatDia

Post # 13
10219 posts
Sugar Beekeeper

To @LilLis:  you said:

I dont know any of the specs for mine, neither does my Husband. We chose a stone we loved the look of which was at a price we could afford. If you love the stone, and the setting and you can afford it do you have to check. Your not going to sell it on, your going to wear it forever, if you love it then its value in monetry terms is irrelivant.

TRUE enough… Loving the Man & the Ring is the important bit.

But if you plan to Insure it… then you need to know more about its value in monetary terms.  So that doesn’t make that part entirely irrelivant.

If you plan to Insure it you pretty much have to know the specs and have an Appraisal Certificate of some type (be it from the Jewellers or a Private Appraisal)

If you VALUE it enough, you should Insure it, IMO.

Post # 14
293 posts
Helper bee

Please visit Pricescope.com and don’t make a single payment yet. There are many things wrong here:

1) You didn’t mention there being a lab report from AGS or GIA that accompanies the diamond. The “colorless” is just the jeweler’s opinion.. and a biased one, at that, since he’s making $$ off the stone.

2) The jeweler didn’t give you details on the other specs.

3) What does “looks more than half a carat” even mean? Is it shallow? Shallow diamonds are not a good thing.

This Time Around’s posts of diamond prices are only relevent if you’re truly comparing similar specs to this diamond, and you’re not. You can have something that is M colored, I1 inclusions, but the jeweler will tell you it’s colorless and eyeclean and you wouldn’t know any better.  

All the words about loving your SO and loving the diamond is just smoke and mirrors. Of course you love your SO. You wouldn’t be looking at buying an e-ring if you didn’t. What does that have anything to do with your purchase, though? That doesn’t save you from being ripped off. It’s one thing when he gifts you something that he can’t return and you learn to love it, but it’s another thing if you’re in the process still trying to buy. Get yourself properly educated, and get help from people who know the field. Go on that website.

Post # 15
852 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

@This Time Round:  I wouldnt think of that, I have no special insurance. I added it to by house insurance for a sum slightly higher than we paid for it…..but didnt need any valuation, appraisal, certificate. Just filled in an online form and put it in as a named item. By contents insurance already covers on personal and portable items such as jewelry, laptops, bikes etc. more than the value of the ring. But insurance may be different here in the UK to other parts of the world.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors