(Closed) Is 1200 calories too low?

posted 6 years ago in Fitness
Post # 3
1820 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

It’s not too low, but if you were used to eating a lot more, it takes a while for your stomach to “shrink” and adjust to the new calorie intake. I would try adding more fruits, vegetables, and proteins which will help keep you fuller longer. Are you drinking enough water? That’s a good way to curb your hunger. 

Also keep in mind. 1200 should be your net calories so if you are working out that day, you need to be eating more calories or you will be calorie deficient which will actually not help you lose weight.

Post # 4
539 posts
Busy bee

Are you working out too? If so, then yes it is too low…maybe bump up to 1400 calories, or eat low calorie snack like celery or cucumbers

Post # 5
954 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

Not necessarily too low if you are sedentary.  If you are working out, you may need more.  Also if you are starving, you’re probably not eating enough protein.  Maybe change the types of foods you are eating so that you are more satisfied.  I’m 5’4′ and recently went from 129-119 on a 1500 /day diet.  I run 25-30 miles per week, spin and do Bikram yoga.  I do notice there are days I am ravenous.  I make sure to eat more on those days and eat less on the days that I am less hungry. 

Post # 6
907 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

Yes I used it at 1200 and was working out and didn’t loose much. As soon as i raised it to 1400 the weight started melting off. Manually adjust it in ure settings.

Post # 7
248 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

Too low for an active adult woman. 

My advice: find your basal metabolic weight (how much you burn just living) 

And don’t eat below that. Doing so will mess up your metabolism in the long run. I lose weight on like 1800 calories a day because I work out. I’d die at 1200. 

Post # 8
1748 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

As someone who uses this program, 1200 calories is the lowest it will go. If you work out and burn 400 calories, it’ll tack on 400 calories to your expected nutritional intake. Meaning you’ll now need to eat 1600 calories. So no, 1200 is not too low as long as you make sure you eat back all the calories you burn during exercise.

Post # 9
4478 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

1200 is low, yes, and coupled with the fact you’re starving, all sounds too low.

Post # 10
2104 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

It’s too low for me! I think that’s the min you should be netting on any given day, but I know there’s no way I could sustain that.

Try adjusting your weight loss goal to 1# a week and it will likely increase your recommended calories. Unless you are significantly obese, it is not realistic to expect to lose more than 1# week for any extended period of time.

MFP gives me around 1450 and I can live with that…especially with extra workout calories.

Post # 11
9142 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 2013 - St. Augustine Beach, FL

@sunnywoods:  This.  I had the same issue and when I bumped up the calories and exercised more (plus eating back exercise calories) I found I wasn’t ravenously hungry and the inches dropped off faster.

Post # 12
4676 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

I try to stay around 1200 calories when I don’t work out  (but most days I do!).  When i do work out I try to eat back around 1/2 of the calories I burned.  This has been working great for me.  If you’re having troubles I would up your calories a little bit and see how that works for you, or exersize the access calories off.   

Post # 13
18645 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

For me, eating 1200 calories is way too low. I feel better at 1400 and have energy to power through workouts.

Don’t forget if you are working out to add in some more food to net 1200 so you don’t end up with a deficit.

Post # 14
907 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

@caits615:  The problem is counting calories you eat is pretty accurate but burning them when you are working out is not, unless you are wearing a heart rate monitor that can calc. that.  So its better not to take what you “burn” into account.

Post # 16
5405 posts
Bee Keeper

All calories are not equal. What kind of things are you eating? 1200 calories of processed carbs will leave you starving. 1200 of protein and veggies with good fat might not. 1200 is too low IMO though. 

The topic ‘Is 1200 calories too low?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors