(Closed) is 12:30 too late to end the reception?

posted 7 years ago in Reception
Post # 3
1253 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

We also have some money we are trying to eat up before our reception is shut down. They only serve alcohol until midnight, so we are thinking of doing a midnight lunch sort of thing

Post # 4
2767 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

when’s the ceremony start?

Post # 5
9057 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2010

I don’t know that too many people would stick around that late.  Ours ended at midnight and it was really just us, the hardcores and the people that were waiting around to clean up (but really, that was the most fun crowd). 

Could you buy more drinks if you’re not already planning on open bar?  Or upgrade your menu somehow?

Post # 6
3148 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

@keshields19: ours ended at 12:30 and then people started cleaning up and were out at 1:00 and it was fine (there were about 30 people still there???)

Post # 7
Hostess
18646 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

We had our location until 12 but I was tired at 11 and we went home.

Post # 8
299 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

It also will depend on the age of your crowd. If a lot of your guests are older don’t expect them to stick around, but if you have younger guests as long as the bar is open they might stick around that late.

Our reception begins at 8 and we have all our vendors until midnight, but plan on leaving about 11:30. I want people to still be at the point where they are having a good time when we leave and not feel like they are stuck there just to send us off.

Post # 9
106 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

It definitely depends on your crowd.  Our reception didn’t end until after 1:00am, but most everyone older than 35 had already left.  It was fun, though, because it gave the young ones time to party!  If you only have a small number of young people, then that’s probably too late.

Post # 10
6598 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2010

Depends on your crowd.

My reception ended at 1pm and all the young people were still there ~35-40 people having a blast.

Post # 11
3564 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

Ours ended at 12:30 and we had people there (mainly our friends) until they kicked us out!

Post # 12
175 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

Like others have said, totally depends on your guests.  If it’s young couples and singles mainly, 12:30 is great.  If it’s families with small children and or older relatives, the place will be a ghost town.  Also consider what time everyone will be up and about in the morning and how tired they might be at that point.  If it was a good friend, I’d stay that late.  If it was a more casual friend, or a relative I’m not that close to, I’d be out of there earlier.

Post # 13
6015 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: March 2012

Maybe you could use it for another round of food towards the end of  the night, more desserts or something.  I know after all that dancing people get hungry again!

Post # 15
459 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

I don’t think that’s too late if the reception starts at 8. If it were a fun wedding, I would stay! Some people may not stay, but they might have left before your original ending time of 12 anyway. I went to a wedding this summer where the ceremony started at 7:30 (so the reception started at 8 or 8:30), which ran until nearly 1, and it was the perfect amount of time.

Post # 16
125 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

@doingathing: We are doing the same thing! We have are having a Friday night wedding and to be sure that everyone can make it without having to rush after work, we are staring the cocktail hour at 7pm and the reception is from 8pm- 12:30pm. We are having an adult only reception and will have a little bit of an older crowd, but also a good mix of younger people too so I’m thinking most will stick around until 12:30. I’m sure our older crowd will ut out maybe around 11:30, but I personally think 7-12:30 is absolutely fine!

The topic ‘is 12:30 too late to end the reception?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors