(Closed) Is 12:30AM too late to end for a Sunday Wedding in the Summer?

posted 6 years ago in Logistics
Post # 3
Hostess
16217 posts
Honey Beekeeper

It really depends on your crowd of guests, and you know them better than we do. How do you think they would handle a later reception on a work night? Personally, I’m not sure I’d be able to stay for your entire reception when I had a whole work-week ahead of me. 🙁

Is it absolutely necessary for you to have a cocktail hour? You could eliminate that and move the reception up an hour if possible?

And, sorry, I’m not sure what your timeline means by 6:30 Invitation, 7:00 Ceremony? What’s happening at 6:30?

P.S. Welcome to Weddingbee!

Post # 5
831 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

Honestly, I think it’s too late and I think some people definitely will leave early.

What about doing this on a Friday evening instead? That could work –

You mean 12:30AM not PM by the way 🙂

Post # 7
2065 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

@dancer1692:  As a person who generally arrives 20-30 minutes before a wedding invite says…please reconsider putting the true start time on your invitation. If I got there at 6, I would be extremely annoyed to be sitting around for an hour.

As for the time, honestly yeah I would leave early to be at work the next morning unless I was actually in the wedding or it was family, in which case I’d definitely stay.

Post # 8
1715 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

I would be leaving around 10pm by the time we drive home and get makeup off I can be in bed by 11 and at work the next morning feeling not horrible. 

Post # 9
Hostess
16217 posts
Honey Beekeeper

I’d personally recommend against putting a time on your invitations that is 30 minutes before the event starts. I say that because I’m a stickler for getting to weddings early, so I’d probably show up at 6:10 if the invite said 6:30…and then I’d be stuck waiting almost an hour! Does that make sense? I understand the logic behind it, but I personally wouldn’t do it.

And some people may take Monday off, but just for your own sake, I wouldn’t count on it. Using myself as an example again, during my first year at my new job (I’ve been here just past a year now), I only had four vacation/sick days to use for the whole year. So as much as I may love my friend and her wedding, there’s no way I could use one of my four itty-bitty days just so I could stay late at her wedding.

That said, it’s totally up to you. You probably need to decide which is more important: having your wedding at this venue (and therefore having to use this timeline) OR having guests stay till the end?

Post # 10
46154 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

When I receive an invitation to a wedding that starts at 6:30, I expect the ceremony to start at 6:30 or only a few minutes after. Although it is nice, I don’t think your guests need chanpagne when they are going to have cocktails in less than a half hour.

In consideration that Monday will be a work day for many people, I would shorten the cocktail hour to a half hour ( unless you really need the extra time for picture taking.

6:30 ceremony

7:00 cocktails

7:30 dinner

Post # 11
7312 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2011 - Bed & Breakfast

We had a Sunday wedding that went well after 11pm, but Monday was a holiday and the wedding was a local destination (60-90 minute drive for guests), so we knew everyone had off the next day and was staying overnight at a hotel 1 block from our venue. If Monday had been a work day for most guests, it would have been a different story and our guests would have been gone by 8:30 or 9pm. 

Post # 12
5075 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2012

I’d leave early.  I wouldn’t take Monday off unless it was a family member’s wedding

Post # 13
1212 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

My Dad is gettiing married on Sunday in a few weeks. I think he thinks a lot of people will be there till 1am or so.

If you remember, ask me to let you know how it goes and what the stay late split is between family/friends, self employed/regular jobs.

Post # 14
1831 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

yeah, unless i took off of work the following day i’d want to get out of there by like 930 at the LATEST.

im a party pooper.

Post # 16
46154 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

@dancer1692:  A short cocktail hour doesn’t mean that people can’t continue to drink during and after dinner.

I would rather have a shorter cocktail hour than have dinner at 8:30 pm.

The topic ‘Is 12:30AM too late to end for a Sunday Wedding in the Summer?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors