(Closed) Is $129 too much?

posted 5 years ago in Bridesmaids
Post # 3
3122 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

I personally think that seems pretty standard.  Do they HAVE to have hair and make-up done or is that a choice?

If you’re interested in possibly cutting back, I think you could allow them to choose their own shoes.

Post # 4
2117 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

$129 is a great amount.

The BM dress alone for my wedding is $149, and that was a hard deal to find :

Post # 6
3742 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

I think that’s very reasonable for a bridesmaid dress and shoes. If the shoes are a common color you could always just tell them to get their own shoes in that color so they have the option of using shoes they already have or finding cheaper ones.

Also, I would give them the option to pay for their hair/makeup or to just do it themselves. If you are requiring it be dont professionally then you should pay for it yourself.

Post # 7
10456 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2014

I think that’s a good price!

Post # 8
12572 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

I think it’s fine, but that’s because it’s fine for my own financial situation.  You need to talk one-on-one with each of your bridesmaids and ask what they are comfortable spending and go from there.

A few pieces of advice, though:

1. If you are requiring them to get their hair and makeup done, you should really be covering that cost.  You can ask them to pay if you give them the option to do their hair and makeup themselves
  2. Your wedding is SO far in the future that you really should hold off on dresses for a bit.  Everything changes!  If you’ve already asked your BMs, you can ask for a guideline for budget, but just keep in mind, budgets change. 
  3. If one is having an issue with the cost, perhaps you could privately offer to help her out (either gifting or loaning the money).  It’s more important to have your girls standing next to you than having them stress about money and how they’re supposed to pay for all of this.

Post # 9
3760 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

I’ve paid up to $200 just for the dress so I think that’s a great deal. The wedding I’m in now I paid $139 and am using shoes I already have. I haven’t picked the dresses for mine yet but I’m going to try to keep them under $150 if possible. 

Post # 10
1832 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: January 2013

I think that is a great price for a dress and shoes before alterations. My girls paid $149 ish with tax just for the gown. They were free to pick whatever gown they wanted it as long as 3 were in black long gowns and 2 were in long plum gowns. All 5 of my girls ended up agreeing on one gown.

Question; why do they have to have the same shoes? I told my girls to wear whatever foot wear they wanted. All of them bought new shoes but the point was just maybe they have a pair of heels at home they could wear with the dress. No one sees the shoes.

Post # 11
15 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: March 2013

I think it is a great price but try to consult with all of your bridesmaids to see what they are comfortable spending individually. 

Post # 14
435 posts
Helper bee

@Waitingforthatdaywithray:  

I’d say that’s on the cheap side.  $30 for shoes is nothing.  I’m a bridesmaid and our dresses alone were $200 (the bride paid for half) and the shoes were $75.  I didn’t think that was outrageous at all.  $129 is good.

Post # 15
1809 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2013

My girls paid 140 for their dresses so I think yours are totally reasonable! I am letting them wear their own shoes and I set up hair and make up but I’m not making it mandatory. So some of the girls decided to do just hair or just make up and I’m totally cool with that 🙂

Post # 16
9057 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2010

I think that’s totally reasonable.  I’d pay up to $150 for a bridesmaid’s dress without even batting an eye.

The topic ‘Is $129 too much?’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors