Is $1,500 completely unreasonable for flowers in Chicago?

posted 3 years ago in Flowers
Post # 3
951 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

@LittleSassLotsofClass:  I think that’s pretty low, honestly.  I haven’t gotten my proposal back from the florist yet (expecting it this week) but my sister had her wedding 8 years ago in Tacoma, WA and had about the same floral order as you – it totaled over $2,000.  Frown  I hope I’m wrong for you…

Post # 6
975 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2014 - Banff, Alberta

@LittleSassLotsofClass:  I don’t think that is high in general for florists but I think spending anything close to that amount for something that is going to die in a few days is crazy. I am making our own flowers and having non-floral centerpies.

Post # 7
582 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

@LittleSassLotsofClass:  I’m in the area, and that seemed kind of low to me.  BUT have you looked at Costco? They have some pretty good pre-made displays that I’ve used for dinner parties– maybe they could help you out here?

Post # 8
3265 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2014

MOH had her flowers done for under $500. I can’t remember the florist, she’s in one of the suburbs that’s completely left my brain. She had 4 bouquets, bouts, and I believe 8-10 centerpieces of mixed flowers.

ETA: I’m going online for my roses. Is that an option for you?

Post # 9
351 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

That seems low to me too. I got married in Sonoma and paid $2400 for 1 bridal boquet, 2 bridesmaids bouquets, 2 nosegays for the moms, 4 boutineers, 10 centerpiece arrangements and a few arrangements for the altar at the church. 

If you want flowers but they are not a high priority I have heard good things about people using Costco or even local grocery stores and saving a ton of money. 

Post # 10
3570 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

I think you will need to go up to 2K at least. 

Post # 11
70 posts
Worker bee

It does seem a bit on the low side- break down the costs

On the low side (especially for Chicago I’m sure) you’ll be looking at about:

$150-$175 for bridal

$65-$75 for bridesmaids

$10 for each boutonniere

$30-$40 for each corsage

$85-$100 for a tall big baby’s breath ball- Yes, baby’s breath is cheaper than other flowers, but in such a bulk it still adds up, plus it’s a time consuming arrangement for the florist to make.

Say you do half and half and supplement it with a $50-$60 arrangement, once you add in tax and labor, you’ll definitely be pushing your budget celing. Price shop around. I imagine Chicago is a pricy city but you’re not being completely unreasonable.

Post # 12
2132 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

It MIGHT be possible in the Chicago area, but it will be tight and you might have to change your vision (particularly for the centerpieces).  I’m a Chicago area bride too, and went with Sylvia Amlings flowers because they gave me a really reasonable quote.  I think you get a better quote if you ask for a bit on the low side (like 1500 for all that) and then ask what they can do it for if they say no.   

We are paying around 1000, but not doing centerpieces with them (we are DIY them).  We are ordering a bridal bouquet, 3 bridemaids bouquets, 2 mini bouquets for moms, 1 corsage, 3 special honory bridesmaids flowers, 11 boutinierres, 2 very large floral pieces for the church, and roses and bows to line the pews.  

Baby’s breath seems cheap, but they are also a small flower because you need a TON of them.  Pretty much the cheapest flowers to choose at Sylias (which I choose a lot because flowers weren’t that important to me either) were roses (because the get them in huge bulk because of their popularity) and hydrangea (their huge size makes it neccessary to only have a few).  

I recommend looking into Costco at least for centerpieces, and even consider non floral ideas (we added candles to some of the centerpieces so we could save on not buying as many flowers).   

Post # 13
482 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

LittleSassLotsofClass:  that’s what I paid in New Orleans using a family friend so I think it’s a good price depending on flowers. What are you using for your bouquets and such? If it’s not that important to you, you coild always order them yourself from a bulk store and make the arrangements to save money! 

Post # 14
97 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

I am adamently against spending that amount on flowers. As someone said to me the other day – No one’s going to remember what kind of flowers you had. And it’s true. I can’t tell you that I remember the flowers from anyone’s wedding I’ve attended.

The person who mentioned Costco – a friend of mine used them and it was fabulous.

You might also want to consider 1-800-flowers (http://ww31.1800flowers.com/template.do?id=template4&page=7902&conversionTag=true). If the link doesn’t work just google “1800flowers wedding”.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors