(Closed) Is $270 too much to ask …

posted 9 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
256 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I would be taken aback if a friend asked me to pay 270$ for a bridesmaid’s dress.  Personnally I would not want to ask my girls to pay over 150$ maximum.  However, what a normal price range is for you will be dictated by where you live, how old you are, your profesionnal status…You know the circumstances and people involved best.  But if you are asking it is probably because deep down you feel it’s too expensive and are hoping the bees will reassure you.  I would keep looking.

Post # 4
428 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2009 - Church Ceremony/Reception at The Waterford House

Personally, I think it’s too much.  However, everyone is different and I think it really depends on what your friends expect.  Is there anyway that you can help pay for part of it?  If they aren’t comfortable with paying that amount, is there another style that similar but cheaper?  Oh, and can we see pictures 🙂 ?

Post # 5
14186 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

Wow. To me, YES, that is way too much money. None of my friends would have ever forked up that much money for a dress, either. We all have this understanding that we don’t pick out dresses more than $150 though.

It depends on your friends, though, and their job, etc. Half my girls were still in college, which was a big factor. I’m an engineer and I do fairly well salary wise, and even I would gag a little on a $300 dress. I’d still do it, but boy would that come out of a gift fund or something else. I just don’t have $1000 allotted for every wedding I’m in. I love my friends, but I just make it appear out of nowhere!

Why don’t you email them and find out what they’re all comfortable spending, range-wise? I had a bride do that with me once and I really appreciated it. If they say $200, and you still really awnt the dresses, offset it with the $70 as a gift or something if they’re that improtant to you. I think making sure your friends are ok or not ok with it is really key though.

And we can all help you find nice substitutes =]

Post # 6
2856 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

Unfortunately, I too believe that is too much money for a dress they most likely will wear only once but as the other ladies said it all depends on your friends and their money situation.

I say do what ejs had suggested, speak with the ladies and see what they can afford. This will help you better with the answer you have been looking for.

Post # 7
36 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: September 2008

I think it depends on your group of friends.  For my wedding, my girls dresses were about $150.  When I was in my MOH’s wedding, our dresses were $300 plus alterations.  I think you should ask the girls how they feel.  If your friends are well off, then it probably won’t be an issue, but if not, then you may want to consider something less expensive.

Post # 8
3576 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

NishP27-

Personally, I do think it is a bit pricey.  I’m attempting to keep the dresses for my bridesmaids at $150 or below and I still think that’s a lot to ask and here’s why.

All of my hip chicks have to travel to get to my wedding. Two will be flying and one driving.  That’s an expense.  Then there’s the hotel cost.  On top of that, they have to get shoes to match the dress, jewelry (if you don’t supply it), if you want them to get their hair done/makeup (if you don’t supply that). 

THEN, there’s the shower, the bachelorette, and wedding gift which I also feel shouldn’t be required as it’s their gift to be IN your wedding.

Just some food for thought.  Try your best to keep it low…especially in this economy.  Let me know what you decide to do.  What color do you want them to be?

Post # 9
53 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

if your heart is set on it, why don’t you ask them to contribute $150 and you’ll pay the remaining $120?

$150 seems to be the acceptable amount to ask to be spent. I’m not sure, its not usual for us to ask BM’s to pay for their dresses over here. we pay for them.

Post # 10
665 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I think anything over $200 is too much. So, if you really like it… offer it to them and get some feed back. If they feel its out of their price range, then perhaps consider covering some of the cost.

Post # 11
908 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

Sorry, but I also think it’s too much.

I paid $210 for a BM dress a few years ago and thought it was WAY too much.  I actually really liked the dress but seriously, when will I need a floor lenght strapless ball gown again?  I never complained to the bride or anything but it was a lot to pay for a dress I’d wear once. 

Post # 12
3332 posts
Sugar bee

I think everyone’s fiancial situations are different, so only you (and your friends) know if they’d actually be comfortable with that amount.  Personally, I wouldn’t be happy about spending that much on a dress I know I wouldn’t wear again.  (However, FWIW, as a BM, I would probably just suck it up and pay it).  I also wouldn’t want to ask my BM to spend that much, if I could help it. 

I like Beagle’s suggestion that if you really have your heart set on this dress, maybe you could try to pay a portion of the cost?  What was the price of the original dress you chose?  If that was, say $150, then you could offer to split the difference and pay the addition $120?  Just a thought.

Post # 13
3125 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: December 2009

yes, too much.  I say either scrap the dress and find a new one, or pay (at least) half of the cost yourself..

Post # 14
4466 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I agree that sounds like too much to me.  I wouldn’t spend that much on a dress for myself (for a wedding, benefit, etc.) so I wouldn’t expect my BMs to spend that to maybe only wear once.  Also, they may need alterations on top of the dress cost, so you should take that into consideration as well.

Post # 16
97 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

I love the 2nd dress.  Maybe you could held defray the cost a little.  B/c keep in mind that they will have alterations to pay for also.  Just a little thing to thing about … this dress will probably only be flattering on your size 6 bridesmaids. 

The topic ‘Is $270 too much to ask …’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors