Is $3,000 too much for a wedding dress????

posted 3 years ago in Dress
Post # 2
858 posts
Busy bee

that dress is absolutely unreal!! Good for you for doing what you want and what isnt tradition. If the dress is what you want, spend the extra money. I originally budgetted for $1500 and spend $2500!!

Post # 3
213 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

I don’t think that’s crazy – 😉 I’m spending 3K myself, and never thought I would.  Mind you other areas of my budget have suffered (i.e. the bouquets are going to double as centrepieces.  Cause I have no budget for that now, lol.)

Post # 4
2364 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2014

TinaNYC55:  I don’t understand the whole “going above budget” aspect.  I alot what I have towards things and that’s that.  I can’t go “over budget” b/c the money isn’t there! I understand being able to stretch a couple hundred $$ here and there but that’s nearly twice what you’re alotting for on a dress.  

Post # 5
4834 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

I spent $2700 on my dress (it was a $5,600 dress I bought used) and it was worth every penny. I LOVED it and love looking at pictures of it. I wouldn’t have gone into debt over it, but if you can afford it, I say go for it!

Post # 6
1737 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2014 - 13th ~ TN

TinaNYC55:  If you can afford to go out of your budget then I say go for it. If you can not then I would consider another route. Have you tried other sites that can replicate like Dressilyme.com and Jasminesbridal.com?

Post # 8
869 posts
Busy bee

TinaNYC55:  I love that dress it’s beautiful. Have you considered oncewed.com for a previously used one? A bride may even offer to do a presale of it. Or you could purchase it new yourself then sell it online for at least half considering the designer and quality. I’m just worried about you having it made that always makes me nervous! That dress looks complicated and unique to try to replicate!

Post # 11
5204 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2013

TinaNYC55:  It depends on your priorities and your financial means.  For me, yes, $3000 would be crazy because I don’t value a dress that highly, even though I could afford it.  For others $3000 may be absolutely fine or even a bargain.

IMO, the most telling details are these: 1) you do not have the money on hand right now to pay for the dress, and 2) at $3100 this dress is already 55-105% higher than your origional budget.  That’s a huge jump.

I would say that you cannot afford a $3000 dress.  But it’s your money and your wedding, so if you want to save up for it, then do it.  After all, you are the only one who knows what $3000 is worth to you!

Post # 12
5204 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2013

TinaNYC55:  Another way to think about it: given your earning rate, how many days do you have to work to bring home $3100 after taxes?  When you look at it through that lense, does it seem worth the sacrafice? 

Just trying to give you tools to help you decide what the money/dress is worth to you 😀

I do think it’s a stunning gown and that it’s so cool that you are looking at something alternative.  Love when people do something different!

Post # 13
1266 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2015

I think it depends on your total wedding budget.  Can you pull money from other areas?  I spent a bit more than $3,000 on my dress and waaay too much on my veil, but the dress was pretty important to me. I’m cutting down on flowers to make up for that. If you love it and you can afford it if you rearrange the budget, go for it! I really doubt you’ll find a similar dress for less.<br />

Post # 14
1538 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2015

I don’t think its the price tag (although thats super high) that would bother me, but spending that much on a replica. I think you could end up disappointed. It seems like a huge amount of money for one day and not for the original dress you love.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors